From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:38:11 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=5054&startid=5056

Actually tonight I am working on a promised article to Ferrets Mag about
adrenal disease.  But I think that Melissa and Sukie have covered the
dire possibilities very well (and they are very real.)

However, even under the best conditions, when there is no malignancy,
there is no bone marrow toxicosis, there is no prostatic cystic disease -
even the most mild prediction is a sad one.  Ferrets with adrenal disease
have a diminished quality of life - they have progressive muscle loss,
low grade anemia, they tend to redistribute weight to the abdomen,
further making it difficult to walk, they have an increased incidence of
gastric ulcers as a result of the stress of chronic illness, decreased
bone density - none life-threatening, but all life-compromising.  Even
medical treatment, which is not my preferred way of treating adrenal
disease, gives slight releif to symptoms.  Doing nothing is not kind and
not in a ferret's best interest.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM