Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:39:28 -0500
Barb writes:
>I've been to one sanctuary, and that was Cathy Strobach's. She has
>a wonderful set up, with love and care. What I saw were 8 week old
>ferrets and upwards. Those in her care were typical of what we receive
>everyday in shelters, their stories or origin were no different than
>what we get. The only difference is that we adopt out, she doesn't.
>That doesn't mean that I don't respect her for what she does, because
>I do. I respect and appreciate anyone taking in unwanted ferrets. I
>just wished that sanctuaries would hear the need of the community to
>place ferrets that are unwanted. The best lecture about ferret care
>and commitment, is welcoming them to your facility...to adopt...and.
>not sending them off to the petstore to get a ferret, in my humbled
>opinion.

In my humble opinion Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary has been your target for
years Barb, and it's about time you let it go. As far as I am concerned
you have been making false accusations about Zoo's sanctuary since
2002. The most popular accusation is that she is a collector. And this
statement was made years before you even visited her sanctuary!
<http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0212&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R14058>

Sadly, up until just a few years ago you were successful in getting
many people to believe your hurtful statements. Not only were you
successful in almost devastating a wonderful sanctuary, I also believe
you may have caused many sanctuaries to operate underground. Many of
them operate quietly on their own with no means of support from the
ferret community; they are too afraid to ask for it for fear of getting
flamed like Cathy Strobach was.

Soon after your tirade, a number of people checked into your your
rumors and accusations only to find out that they are in fact false.
Personally speaking, I have worked closely with Zoo and discovered
quickly that the rumors you started (and continue to spread) are
simply not true.

Never have I seen or heard of Cathy having an 8 week old ferret in her
sanctuary, and if she did...so what?? Is there a set age limit that
sanctuaries should have that we're not aware of? I don't remember
reading that in the sanctuary manual...if I missed it, then I don't
recall getting the memo either. Aside from the rule that you and a
few others created...why are sanctuaries not allowed to experience the
joys of having a younger ferret around to lighten the spirit? Ferret
sanctuaries normally take in the older, sick, unwanted and dying
ferrets. Let me ask you a question Barb, why is it ok for you to do
that but not for sanctuaries? Pot, kettle anyone? Unless the other
ferrets in Zoo's sanctuary are not receiving proper care, then the pot
you are attempting to stir should not even be a cause for concern.

As far as the ferrets that Zoo gets in her sanctuary being "typical
of what shelters receive" I beg to differ with you. I know for a fact
that the average age in Cathy's ferret room is somewhere between 5 & 6.
One whole wall of cages is referred to as the "Meds Wall". Every ferret
along that wall is on medication for life; several of them are dying.
Perhaps what you saw were the ferrets that Cathy has agreed to provide
a forever home for if by chance something were to happen to the owners?
I personally have made arrangements for Cathy to take my ferrets if
something happens to me. By doing so I am assured that my ferrets will
not be separated, and they will live out the rest of their days with
love, everything they need, and in a beautiful and peaceful environment
with plenty of room to play. I do know that Cathy has made this
agreement with others as well. I recall one ferret owner who
unfortunately was diagnosed with cancer. Just before her passing her
ferrets were placed in Cathy's home. She was able to see pictures of
them in their new forever home soon before the cancer took her life. I
am sure she went peacefully knowing her ferrets were in a safe place.
Do you really think it would be morally right to split and "adopt out"
these ferrets after a promise such as this was made, because Barb Clay
says you should? There may be reasons why there were ferrets in Zoo's
sanctuary that appeared to be a little "healthier" than others, and in
my opinion, you have created your own stories without obtaining the
facts first. And as far as I am concerned this should be no issue of
yours as the ferrets are being properly cared for. There is no doubt
whatsoever that Zoo properly cares for the ferrets. Even you said
"she has a wonderful set up, with love and care."

Zoo's sanctuary DOES go above and beyond "hearing the need of the
community" and thats commitment. She does re-home ferrets that are
unwanted and healthy enough to be re-homed. She DOES NOT tell people to
go to a pet store. I am not exactly sure where that came from however
(?!)

Barb, for years I have had a hard time figuring out what the real
issue is, aside from the simple fact that you may be envious of Zoo.
Fortunately those who have taken the time to visit Zoo's sanctuary
(along with other sanctuaries) have realized how necessary they are
in the ferret community and are able now to see that your accusations
have been far from true.

Kris

[Moderator's note: Barbara Clay will respond to the recent posts all
at once early next week.  BIG]