From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 07:42:03 -0500
To John Byron:

I recently wrote an article in our newsletter about flying with ferrets.
I called 4 airlines:  American Airlines, United Airlines, and Delta Airlines
WILL NOT let ferrets on board.  Interestingly, AA WILL allow dogs, cats,
potbelly pigs, and miniature horses in the cabin with the people!!!@@@???
But NO FERRETS!!  AA and Delta have no particular reason for not allowing
ferrets in the cabin.  United won't because they are classified as wild
animals.

US AIR WILL allow ferrets in the cabin, they must be current on rabies and
distemper, have a current health certificate (less than 30 days), your ferret
license (if needed) and a regulation size carrier (17 x 12 X 8") which they
will sell you for $35 if you don't have one, and the ferret must have his
own ticket and reservation ($25 one way - no matter where to).  One more
point:  you can't fly a ferret in to or out of a FFZ.

Flying a ferret (or any animal) in the cargo hold is not an option for me.
I have heard of so many tragedies from this.  The cargo hold IS NOT
air conditioned.  Ferrets do not tolerate heat at all; when the temp starts
hitting 80 and above, it can be dangerous for ferrets.  Cargo holds are known
to reach temps over 100 degrees!!  Water spills, water bottles become dis-
engaged from carriers and cages, cage doors burst open, etc.....

If you can't take your ferret on board, don't fly.  Strong words, I know,
but look what happened to Toons in a car with open windows sitting in the
shade;(Scott, I'm so sorry about Toons; I burst out crying when I read your
article as I know others did).

To Mary at Modern Ferret:  You're right!!  "Coated" and "soaked" are two
different things!  Thanks for correcting me.  Also thanks for the insight
into the 8 in 1 as well as the phone number.  I'll try to get some literature
and samples!

Before anyone corrects my English, ferrets must be current on distemper
and rabies VACCINATIONS!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA