From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:07:13 -0500
Hi everyone.

Ralph recently had a tumor removed from his intestines (it had blocked him --
otherwise we might never have known it was there).  The lab said it was
adenocarcinoma.  Our vet doesn't have much information on adenocarcinoma in
ferrets (only in cats & dogs).  He talked to a couple of other vets, as well
as a veterinary oncologist at the AMC in NYC (who had also not seen
adenocarcinoma in ferrets).

The only thing our vet has found out is that adenocarcinoma might not
respond well to chemotherapy (especially since Ralph's lymph nodes were
enlarged at the time of surgery -- though the vet didn't biopsy them).  I
can't see not doing SOMETHING for Ralph.  He'll be only 3.5 years old in
December.

Our vet has suggested we use a chemotherapy protocol for adenocarcinoma in
cats.  That's fine with me -- therapies for ferrets are often adapted from
those used for cats.  The only problem is that he seems to be extremely
concerned about giving doxorubricin (one of the agents used in the protocol)
to a ferret.  I know that this agent is used in therapies for lymposarcoma &
many other cancers, so I know that vets have given it to ferrets, presumably
without dire consequences.

Is there any kind of technique that can be used to administer doxorubricin
to a ferret?  I'd really like to do something for Ralph and I'm afraid that
the longer we wait, the worse his chances become.

If anyone has seen/heard of adenocarcinoma in ferrets -- or if anyone has any
suggestions, please let us know ([log in to unmask] or

Thanks.

Mary & the Furry Foursome
(Sabrina, Ralph, Marshmallow & Knuks)
MODERN FERRET Magazine