From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:53:57 -0600
>From:    Liz Luc <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: urinary problem

Regarding Liz' post about Fuji's dark urine.  I don't want to alarm anyone,
and hopefully any veterinary experts on the list can provide more insight
into this.

One Saturday a couple of years ago I noticed my eldest ferret Bud had dark,
smelly urine.  I planned to call the vet first thing Monday about it, but by
Sunday evening Bud's skin had turned yellow!  I rushed him to the emergency
clinic, where they said he was a little dehydrated and very jaundiced, and
his temperature was a little low.  They gave him subcutaneous fluids and
told me to keep him warm, but they didn't have the ferret expertise to do
anything else for him.

I took him to my own vet first thing the next morning.  Blood tests were
inconclusive, but my vet's best guess was AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia.  They
kept him for a couple of days on a program of fluid injections, steroids and
antibiotics.  After that I took Bud home and cared for him around the clock.
But he passed away the following weekend.

Fuji's problem may be unrelated, but my best advice is to have a vet who's
an expert on ferrets look at him as soon as possible.

I hope Fuji turns out to be ok.

--
John Rosloot, Caregiver to Cassidy and Sammy
With loving memories of my dear departed Buddy