Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:05:19 EDT
Hi all!  I stopped here at my local Kansas Petco - to play with their
new kids.  At this Petco - the cage is always cleaned - and the ferts
are happy, played with, and well fed..  I was discussing with one of the
employee's, the age of their currently fuzzies.  She said and I quote:
Well, Marshalls says that they are 9 weeks old, but we know for a fact
that they are a few weeks below that.  We have on hand, and continue to
keep on hand, formula for these kids.

I asked why and she stated that Marshalls continuously sends them these
kits that are TOO young to be on their own and then they "lie" about
their ages.  She seemed extremely knowledgable and was not "cutting down"
Marshall's.  She pointed out that they are doing this because of the
"demand" for ferrets.  They are in high demand - and unfortunately Petco
has to "take the hit" on these kits.  What she said next, almost floored
me however.  She stated that their store, and all the Kansas stores are
"halting" their ordering of kits.  They are doing this to stop this
vicous cycle that they are caught up in.  She said that if Petco slows
down their orders, yes, they may lose business, but she said that their
store would rather lose the business, than lose the kits!!  I couldn't
believe it!  A store that finally has it figured out!!!  I complimented
them on their "smart thinking".  She stated that her manager is
contacting ALL the Petco's nationwide, with a "global email" requesting
that they ALL do the same thing!  If the "supply/demand" is the reason
why Marshall's keeps sending them out so young - then they, as a store,
needed to be more responsible and "slow down" the supply/demand.  Can you
believe it?  A Petco that really, truly, cares!!  Not that they don't -
don't mis-understand what I mean here.  I just was overwhelmed by good
feeling when this gal smartly discovered a way to keep Marshall's from
sending out kits that are too young.  Since they were told it is due
to this supply/demand - and they couldn't stop the public from wanting
them - then they would slow it down themselves, by creating a longer
period between orders.  How is that for smart kids?

Impressed outta her shoes in Kansas, Kim and Her Army of Idiots