From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:50:03 -0500
MILITARY:
Randall E. Greenfield (by directon) for  Office of the Chief, Bureau of
Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Streeet NW,
Washington, DC 20372-5300; excerpts:

"1.  The United States Army is the Department of Defense executive agent for
veterinary medicine.  The U.S. Army Veterinary Command (VETCOM) at Fort Sam
Houston, Texas has overall responsibility for all changes in tri-service
veterinary regulations and veterinary policy.  Point of contact at VETCOM is
Major David S. Rolfe at 210-221-6522.

2. Once VETCOM has reviewed either a draft or the final published version
of the 1998 Rabies Compendium a policy decision will be forthcoming.
Historically the U.S. Army veterinary Corps has explicitly followed the
guidance published in the Rabies Compendium.

3. Department of Defence policy will be in accordance with local state laws
at each military installation."

Very wonderful holidays to all in uniform.  With all the good people who are
working to help your ferrets maybe you'll soon get a special surprise!
We're asking a marvelous and truly kind, retired Army veterinary pathologist
to help with this effort on your behalf and that of your ferrets.  If you
don't know: the policies toward exotics vary from base to base, but with
ferrets included the same as dogs and cats in the 1998 Compendium we stand a
chance of helping our fellow ferret owners and their pets by changing policy
to treat them the same as dogs and cats also in relation to other aspects
(such as presence in housing and transport with transfers) in regions in
which ferrets are legal.

Sukie