From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:35:05 -0800
Alot of folks seem to be on a "collar kick" lately here, so I want to
address some things that have been mentioned.  I am not attacking this poor
person I quote from here, only using this post to start with since it was
"handy" for me today.  I am certain many others are using the same or
similar collars, and I would like to offer some words of caution to all.

>From:    "Robyn B. Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>
>After looking at leather straps, nylon straps, and collars with skimply
>elastic loops in one small section, I chose for my two ferrets collars that
>are nylon with elastic inside the full length of the nylon woven mesh.  I
>found them at the Super WalMart.

I have repeatedly found that collars made from nylon are prone to
"shrinking" from exposure to water while the ferret hangs his head in the
waterbowl to drink, or helps himself/herself to what is in the glass on the
coffee table, etc..  More importantly they shrink from the ferret
scratching, as the nails hang for only a second in the threads of the collar
and get "pulled" slightly each time, thus shrinking the collar over time and
"choking" the ferret!!!  I got a panicked call just a few days ago because
an owner "discovered" the collar had gotten too tight on her ferret and even
cut into the skin.  She also complained that the ferret had lost lots of
weight, so it was obvious this had gone on un-noticed for some time.  Now,
obviously this person does not watch her ferret close enough, but this sort
of thing can happen rather suddenly.  This seems to be an all too common
problem with the nylon collars, and it doesn't take long for them to be a
serious danger to your ferret.  You can be away at work for one day and the
ferret decide to scratch an itch and snag the collar.  The collar tightens a
little, and begins to irritate the ferret because it is slightly
uncomfortable.  Over the next few hours it really starts "bugging" the
ferret, so he/she scratches more to try and get this darn thing to "let go"
of it's neck, the more it scratches, the more it tightens, by the time you
get home from work your ferret could be in serious danger!!!  It is just not
worth the risk folks!!!

Nylon with elastic inside may help a little, but the collar will still
tighten somewhat and "bug" the ferret, causing more scratching, and more
shrinking, and the elastic will only stretch so far.  The "safety" collars
sold for cats would "theoretically" eliminate this problem, but they are not
going to stay on your ferret either.  I have gone through all phases of
collars from plain nylon (almost choked my own ferret Sugar some years back,
before I learned about the shrinking), the "safety cat collars" that they
can take off in the blink of an eye, so what good are they?, and finally to
small leather ferret collars.  Leather collars have been a good choice for
me because they are relatively safe, do not stretch or shrink, last a long
time, cannot be removed if fitted properly, and are not all that expensive
either.

I feel the most important reason for a collar is for identification!!  If
your ferret happens to find it's way outdoors (we hope they don't but it
sometimes happens so best be prepared) a human seeing this "strange animal"
quickly realizes it is someone's pet because it is wearing a "collar" and
won't grab a gun and start shooting at it!  The human may also realize,
well, if it is someone's pet, it probably is not a vicious animal, and they
just might take it in and offer it shelter, food, and water.  You should
have the ferret's name on his/her collar too, so the person who finds your
ferret can realize that poor little "Bandit", or "Rascal", or "Pookie", is
truly a "pet" and this will further alleviate any "fears" the person may
have of this "strange animal", and they will know that the animal needs to
find it's way back to it's owner.  Next, if you were smart enough to put
your phone number on the collar, then they know immediately who to call and
your ferret can find it's way back to you in a relatively short period of
time, and likely he/she will be safe and sound upon returning to you.

A bell is also a good idea so it is easier to locate the ferret.  But be
sure the bell does not hang down too far, or is not too large, making it
prone to getting snagged on things causing your ferret problems maneuvering
in the places they like to go.

Yes, it is somewhat of a dilemma that we must all weigh and decide for
ourselves.  Collars "can" get hung on things and cause problems that way,
but ferrets "need" collars on them in case of escape.  Collars with ID save
lives folks!!  How many ferrets have we read about in the last couple of
months on the FML who have either been lost or found?  A collar with ID
would have saved lots of worry here.  My suggestion is to keep a collar with
a bell and ID on them at all times, BUT, also be a responsible ferret owner
and don't allow them access to places where the collar could get hung on
things.  Thorough ferret-proofing is the key!  Also, be attentive to your
ferrets whereabouts at all times!  If you have a wire cage, at least cover
the bottom with a solid covering so that the bell won't get hung in the
floor wire when they are playing or even sleeping.  It is a good idea to
cover ramps as well.

The ID can be simply a piece of paper with the ferrets name and phone number
written on it, and taped like a "label", with wide clear plastic packing
tape, onto the collar itself.  That way it does not "dangle" and cause
problems for the ferret.  I have leather ferret collars available through my
shelter and will put the ID and the bell on them for you if you like (this
service is FREE).  See the latest FERRET AD for info on ordering these
collars from my shelter.

Just my thoughts.  The safety and well-being of all ferrets is always my
first concern!

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shetler