From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:19:06 -0400
Okay, I am most definitely NOT an expert on this; have simply read some
very fine resources so keep your grain of salt handy:

The ten day quarantine is a good thing for vaccinated animals, but if you
look in the Compendium you'll find that something like 60 days is advised
"just in case" when the history of a dog, cat, or ferret is unknown.
That's logical; it certainly seems to give a safety window.

Also, although I have not heard of this happening with a ferret, but it is
possible for the virus to cross mucus membranes in humans which is why one
question asked is if saliva or blood could have gotten into eyes.

There have been studies indicating that ferrets do not contract rabies from
eating flesh from infected animals.  Some mammals can get it this way and
others can't from what I've read.

The probability is going to be very low, but given the severity of the
illness... My personal tendency (I suspect, though I haven't been there)
would be to go with the extended quarantine, get shots if the animal shows
signs of illness, read the Compendium and the human rabies info at
http://www.avma.org
(Within "professional resources" subsection you'll find multiple resources.)
and
http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056176.htm
(for the CDC's ACIP Human Rabies Prevention document) carefully, adjust for
any personal or situational concerns, and (hopefully) use logic.  You know
that there are shots a person can get before any possible exposure?

[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I just merely wanted to relate Fuzzit's past few days with ECE.  I
>can't understand why her poop is still liquid...it's been 6 days and
>the literature says it should only last 2-4!

If it's ECE expect that the runs might last for MONTHS -- NOT days!!!!!!!

Need to make sure it's not another cause than ECE, since you can treat a
number of those, but left untreated some can be fatal.  Does the waste
smell necrotic?  With ECE it does.  READ some SOLID INFO on ECE from these
pages then go from there:

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html  and
http://www.ferretcentral.org

It sounds like you need to learn the basics and go from there.  (We are
all in that position on and off.)

BTW, A ************LOT************** of people call things which are NOT
ECE "ECE", but that's a bit like calling Beta Hemolytic Strep "Ebola" --
okay, a LOT like doing so...

If anyone was confused Tuesday by my writing "16" and later 16+; it's with
the +.  Just missed it in the rush the first time.  Hey, I'm not perfect,
but then we all make mistakes.  Why if Bill Gates had a nickel for every
time that Windows has failed -- oh, wait -- he does.  (Okay, so you've
heard the joke; the math in it is still correct.)