From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:26:44 -0500
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret hunting?
>I believe ferrets cannot survive in the wild, and that they are purely
>domesticated animals.  However, I would like to know why and how there is
>such a thing as ferret hunting.

Ferret hunting is not hunting FOR ferrets but WITH ferrets.  Sometimes other
animals are used in conjunction with the ferrets.  I've learned recently
that includes falcons.  I would suspect thath the ferrets are dropped into
rabbit holes and the dogs catch the flushed rabbits.  The ferrets are
unharmed.

>From:    Tetsuro Oka <[log in to unmask]>
>Do you know Japanese Ferret Page?  Ferret Japan
><http://www.mdf.co.jp/FerretJapan/>
>If you come and advice, it will be a great help.  There is also traslated
>FerretFAQ.

I went but couldn't read a thing.  Loved the ferret emblems and all the
graphics.  Is it in Japanese?  The text all showed up as jibberish except
the characters in the images were Japanese.  Any chance for English
Translations?

From:    "Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: good pet store, blind fuzz-ball

>My question is, how common is blindness in ferrets?  I seem to remember
>someone posting about albinos and blindness

Blindness I've noted in ferrets is usually associated with cataracts.  These
would be seen as bluish white spots in the eyes.  It is far too common.
There is genetic cataracts and I've been told cataracts can be induced by
stress or trauma - don't have solid evidence on that.  Blind ferrets often
don't know they are blind as deaf ferrets don't know they are deaf.

I know of absolutely no realtionship between albinoes and blindness.  There
can be a relationship between the blaze pattern (or panda pattern) and
deafness.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm