From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:55:09 -0700
As you all know Rocky's went to Hagerstown a month ago to do a rescue of
80 ferrets.  We left with 62.  With the efforts of Heather Thompson from
FOTH, Lisa Leidig of Ferret Haven by The Sea, and Gail Elsey of Scales
and Tails, we were able to locate and obtain the missing 18 on August
16th.  This rescue was a purchase from the owner of $20 per ferret by
Rocky's.  These 18 were given to this person by Diana Bachman.  Legal
complication existed because the residence was in a different county in
Maryland than the Hagerstown rescue.  Unfortunately, the owner refused to
part with 9 and we sadly had to leave them behind.  Attempts are being
made to either correct the situation where they are living, or better
yet, obtain them.  This is being done through legal resources.

The second rescue was done in Wolfsville, Md., Frederick County.  Jade
Steelman of North Carolina accompanied me and was the photographer.  Of
the 18, 10 are kits 5 - 7 weeks old.  Rocky's was able to completely
isolate them for quarantine and triage.  They are all intact without vac
histories.  The kits were especially emaciated.  However, in 10 days time
they have more than quadrupled their weight and only one sweet little
cinnamon jill has been a concern with failure to thrive.  I am happy to
say that with round the clock care, she appears to be out of the woods
and is putting on weight and growing.

I want to thank the community for the donations of money, meds,
supplements and supplies that have been so generously given with much
love and concern for these kids.  Right now we are running about even
with our bills and still need much help.  The 8 adults will be altered
in the next couple weeks.  The kits will remain in quarantine until they
are 14 weeks old and able to be tested for ADV, per CEP.

Let me apologize for not getting phone calls, emails and acknowledgements
to donations made in a timely manner.  However, the logistics of dealing
with 62 post-ops, daily meds for 80, plus my other 48 shelter residents,
is running myself and the volunteers anywhere from a 12 - 21 hour day,
every day since we begun this crusade.

I invite you all to my website www.rockysrescue.com to see the pictorial
essay of not only the Hagerstown rescue, but now the Wolfsville, Md.
rescue.  If you thought that things could never have been worse than what
happened to them in Hagerstown, then Wolfsville will tear your heart out,
as it did mine.  They left the garage in Hagerstown, transported to a
farming area in the mountainous area of Frederick Co.  There they were
house in cages without bedding, in a 3 sided shack.  Their cages were at
the edge of that shack that completely left them exposed to wind, rain
and sun.  Today one of our volunteers was walking across the yard with a
boy from the Wolfsville rescue.  There was a light Summer shower
happening.  As soon as the rain drops touched a big hob, he freaked out.
It was only after discussing it with the volunteer that we could connect
their exposure from living in that shack for the past month, to the rain
drop freakout today.

Rocky's has had incredible support from all over the world for this
rescue effort.  It's not over by a long shot!  I would like to thank
my Board of Directors for Rocky's; Denise Kamarunas - President, Kim
Sikorski - Vice President, Barry Edwards - Secretary, Michelle Butler -
Treasurer, Lisa Jo Schwartz - Volunteer Coordinator.  Each one of them
has dedicated themselves to coming here and diving in and getting dirty,
bit and exhausted.  I have the best Board ever!!!  These folks seriously
rock!

Next the folks that made major sacrifices to travel here repeatedly to
help.  My right arm, Jade Steelman from North Carolina that took a
month's leave of absence to work this rescue full time with me, My
energizer bunny - LYNN LOVE, from Fairfax, Virginia!!!!!!  Gail Elsey and
Meri Martin from Scales and Tails, Tracie Belongia and her group from The
Richmond Ferret Rescue, Diane Campbell and Karen Douglass from Ferret
Guardian North Carolina, Gennifer Mathurin and Norka from Florida, Leanne
Bochencko from Texas, Lynn and Rob Toole from Illinois, Nan Sanders from
Virginia, Alison from Montgomery Co, Md. , Karen B - from Montgomery
Co., Md., Kelly and Wolfy from Freeline, Pa., Dennis & Leslie Jones
Frederick Co., MD, Patti and Jason from Montgomery Co, Md., Claudia
Johnson & Dee Bickling - Oxford Ferret Rescue Elton, Md.

THANK YOU SOS!  for funding the ADV testing and checking in with me to do
random sanity checks!  I love you all!

The raffles, wow!  The Carpet Sharks Ink - Kris - owner, Norweigian
Ferrets - Lilly - owner, Pooflingers - Kim Sikorski - owner,
Danee DeVore - treasured afgan...and so many, many more.

The logistical nightmares; 300 lbs of laundry a week...our queen of
clean - Alison!!!!!!!!!!!  The local laundromat attendant doesn't like
her!  lol The trash averages about 1 ton per week.  The phone calls
average 40 per day.  The cards and letters so far have totaled about 200.
The emails average 150 per day.  I promise to acknowledge each and every
one....but right now I am tending to ferrets and it pains me that I
haven't been able to send out thank you cards yet.  I apologize, and I
hope you all understand.

This project has made it through many hurdles, and it has been done with
excellence and precision.  We have had a few problems, but that was to be
expected.  At no time has the health of these ferrets been compromised
and the best medical treatment has indeed been provided to them.  We
thank Falls Rd Animal Hospital for an outstanding effort in supporting
us, and specifically my friend, Keith Gold, DVM!

Many are inquiring about the charges against the perps in this case.  We
have an open case, and evidence has been and is being obtained.  I cannot
discuss it until charges are filed.  I refuse to jeopardize this case in
any possible way.  I assure you we have, in my opinion, the best and most
professional Law Enforcement Officer assigned to the case.

We are still in need of hammies, distemper vaccines, and financial
donations.

 ....THE HAGERSTOWN 62 & WOLFSVILLE 18 - KEEP GIVING TIL THE HURTING

Thank you all!

Sincerely,
Barbara Clay
Director of Shelter Affairs