From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:36:02 -0400
No one has kept an up-to-date FFZ list that I know of in at least a
decade (probably more). Katie Fritz (NOT Kathy Fritz) kept one back
then from her "red shoes" address.

A number of places which had outlawed ferrets stopped doing so the
more was learned.

NYC (New York City) still outlaws them but they are legal in most of
New York State. I think that Washington DC still outlaws them but heard
something a while back saying that might change though I never heard
that it actually had changed.

I think that St. Paul still does not allow them.

The last I heard they are legal in Salt Lake County but Salt Lake City
considers them to be agricultural animals so does not allow them for
that reason (which seems to be something that people in other parts of
Utah could tackle for changing.

Hawaii does not allow them.

Puerto Rico and a number of other non-state locations do not allow them
(though if memory serves St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands does),
and the last time I spoke with any officials in PR -- on a different
topic since I was following up how locations reacted to the CDC rabies
work which wound up in ferrets' favor since they did not have long
hidden infections and had minimal shedding results -- there were
worries there that they would behave like the mongoose. Those are not
even in the same family of Carnivora. Mongoose species are viverreds
and descended from the cat brancn while ferrets are mustelids and
descended from the dog branch.

Check the American Ferret Association to see if they have kept an
updated list, but as far as I know there simply is not one.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html