From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:02:49 -0500
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!  I wanted to thank you for your thoughts
to Judy Cooke, Tyson & Einy.  I forwarded each and every one on to Judy
that I received.

Judy---It was great to see your post yesterday!

Bill: Thank you for the note you made concerning Mia and the private, nasty
flames some people get.  All of us should take time to seriously read
Master Gruber's note, and take it to heart.

I just have to tell you this one---I read about people's fuzzies making
noises when they sleep.  Mine do it too, and I've got up to watch.  I swear
they're having hunting dreams, except for Mookie.  I don't know if anyone
has a fuzzie who does this, but just let this picture run in your mind,
okay?  Here's a big, 3.5 lb badger/blaze ferret (although with his winter
coat he's getting a lot more white on him!), laying on his back, all four
legs flopped out, snoring.  Yes, snoring!  First time I heard it I thought
I was mistaken, but I got close to him and he was just sawing away.  I
nudged him over to his side, and he stopped!  He doesn't snore all the
time, and as he's gotten closer to a year old it's started to go away, but
when he was a little younger he could really snore.  Now he just lays on
his back, out like a light.

An update on my Alix girl.  As you remember, she and her buddy Bailey are
the two that I took in and am their 4th home.  About 3 weeks ago Alix
finally danced for me!  She's been so reserved, quiet that I worried she'd
never play.  She's finally gotten over her depression and realized she's
not going to another new home.  She's getting perkier all the time.  Well,
on a Sunday I was doing the 'ceremonial changing of the sheets' and she was
on the bed.  I started to shake out the sheet and the next thing I know
she's dancing all over the bed, dooking and chuckling.  She danced so hard
she danced herself off the bed to the floor!  I was around it like a shot
to make sure she was all right, got this look like, "Excuse me, I forgot
myself for a moment.  Now that my dignity is intact, we'll forget this ever
happened" look.  This past Sunday I got her to dance for me again.  She was
on top of the sheets and I was 'making waves' with them.  I never saw one
of mine go so high in the air before, and when she landed she was a regular
dancin' machine!  Had her going last night, too.  She was running around,
pulling the sheets up under the blanket, looking at me really silly like.
Then I got her on her back and was giving her a massage.  She was feeling
so good she grabbed the tip of my finger and hung on.  I looked at her, she
looked at me, and I told her, "don't bite".  I swear she smiled at me then
let go.

Another update-Fang, the biter I took in.  She's getting better, but the
other morning when I was leaving for work I was petting them all through
the cage (except for Fang-that's when she gets you) and she leaned over
Suzy's head and got my finger in passing.  Needless to say, I was bleeding.
I did get a small squirt gun and for the longest time had to carry it with
me.  Everytime I'd reach to pet her and she'd whip around at me I got her.
The look was priceless and she finally has quit going for me.  The others,
though, thought that was great-a stream of water outta mom's hand-let me
check this out.  I was cleaning the cage one day, set the gun down, forgot
and went into the other room.  Came back and of course it was missing.  But
then they made the mistake of dragging it out and I found it (Whew).  So
Fang is getting better, although I still don't trust her completely.
She'll let me pick her up and pet her, but she still snakes that head at
you every now and then.  Maybe someday she'll learn not to bite!

Anyway,  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem

=======================
Rebecca McFarlane
Secretary
Basic Medical Sciences
School Veterinary Medicine
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1246
Phone:   765-494-8632
Fax:     765-494-0781
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"