From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 06:42:41 EST
Re:  Badges

I love the badge idea!  I was recently at the ferret show in Robinsville, NJ
and the only other FMLer that I recognized there was Pam Grant.  I wish we
could have all had some sort of identifying badge so that I could have
talked to others.

I also belong to Mensa, and when you join Mensa, they send you a yellow map
pin to wear in your lapel to identify you at Mensa gathering spots for
outings, etc.  It's nice because it is unobtrusive, and is easily replacable
at any stationery store if lost.  The disadvantage (for us) would be that it
has a sharp end, which is a bad thing when you are toting fuzzies (which we
don't normally do at Mensa events).  Perhaps we could also adopt a simple,
commonly found item as our badge ....  something like a clothespin in the
lapel or some sort of sticker commonly found in stationery stores.

Another option, and something which I am doing on another of my mailing
lists (Petbunny), is a custom-designed FML shirt!  Petbunny has already done
one, which is very cute; it has a picture of two bunnies and the Internet
listserv address.  Now we are working on a more elaborate one, and are
deciding on graphics and slogans.  One list member is a graphic artist, and
will get it printed and distributed for us.

Finally ...  the anniversary gathering!  Count me in!  Florida in December
sounds great.  We could also hold it in NYC, in which case I would be more
than happy to assist in logistical arrangements, since I work in Manhattan.
Either way, I definitely plan to be there.  I've also been thinking of
organizing an NY/NJ/CT gathering for FML folks for later this summer ...
any takers?

- Ela