From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:31:25 EDT
Hello all.  This is the third time I'm trying to send this tale!  The first
time, I was too wordy and went over the limit.  The second time, I included
a comment to Julie Rathsack and her uncalled for comment regarding the
ferret held for ransom.  My tone was, in hindsight, too flaming and BIG
rightfully held my post.  No excuses, I was just so mad about her post.
(I didn't follow my own rules and read and reread my post before I sent it
off.)  This time, hopefully, I'll get this right!

Last week, in preparation for my trip to Canada (which went marvelously, if
cold.  My in-laws are wonderful people.), I set the gang loose and began
cleaning cages.  Since the ferrets play in the same room as the cages,
cleaning takes time.  Ferrets are notorious for getting under foot, and
under knee, and under pan, and under bedding, and etc, etc.  One must
always be careful, yes?

Of all my gang, Mercury the $1200 ferret is the worst for getting in the
way.  Mercury, while sweet, is hyper-hyper and can be single-minded to a
fault.  I've actually had to take time-outs in the past to keep from losing
my temper with him.

Well, this night, Merc decided to try a new game.  As I stepped over the
plexi barrier of the ferret room with a dirty litter pan in each hand,
Mercury launched himself at my trailing foot and caught hold of my sock.
He held onto that sock with all his might.  I actually lifted him off the
floor!  I shook my foot and he held on.  I lowered him to the floor and he
held on.  I bounced my foot and he held on.  He hung there with a look of
utter glee on his little face.  Me, I was left balancing on one foot with
dirty litter pans fore and a dangling ferret aft, looking for all the world
like a demented lawn ornament.  I was also laughing like a fool.

Luckily, my housemate Ken was in the next room.  He looked up at my
laughter and saw my predicament.  He came over to help, also laughing at
the idiot.  (Which one of us was the idiot, though?) Thankfully, Mercury
let loose my sock as Ken came over.  I suspect he just wanted to be sure
there was at least one witness to his triumph.  For my part, I made certain
from there on out that Mercury was across the room any time I had to step
over that barrier.

Hey, at least I didn't fling dirty ferret litter all over the foyer!

Take care all!

Anastasia Kidd
alt. email: [log in to unmask]