From:
Liane Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 01:04:14 EDT
To the lady who's "at wit's end."

I know of your plight.  One of my brood - Sassafras - was a rescue from
Ohio.  She had gone through several homes before she came to me -- and she
was delivered to me in a pillow sack!  She bit me several times and anyone
else who came near her!  She bit me at times when I had to pry her jaw open
to get her to release.  She bit me once or twice so hard she punctured my
fingernail.  Once she reached up and grabbed the end of my nose (boy, that
one REALLY hurt!!!)  She attacked my friends and family (she ran up and
jumped up on my friends back and nailed her in the shoulder)  She is a
smaller ferret, so I put her with "the Brut's" (my males who out weigh her
3 or 4 to 1)  She learned some manner's from them.  I continued to use
time-out, letting her out of the cage last, lots of bitter apple, covering
my hands in Ferretone or Ferretvit, lots of rewards and scruffing when she
needed to calm down.  She was deaf -- so saying "no" didn't help.  And I
kept everyone else away from her.  I was the only one to interact with her.
That was over 1 1/2 years ago, and we still have some relapses, but not to
the severity as it was in the beginning.  She has actually attempted a
ferret kiss (something I can tell she has never attempted before)  Many
times (while scruffing her) I told her "I am the only one who loves you -
there is no one else and you have no where else to go!  Now shape up!"
Sometimes I think they understand.  It could be that there maybe someone
in your area that could take Rosie.  I was Sassy's fourth home.  Or maybe
you're her only chance.  Either way I wish you both lots of love and luck.

Liane and the Seattle Sea-Ferrets  - Kit, Powder, Putz, A/C, Nike, Cyrano,
Cinnamon, Bubbles, Duke, Sassafras, Honey  and Ringo (over the rainbow)