From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:53:50 -0400
I have had it pointed out to me that some people have read the
adrenal research announcement to mean that the work was all by Dr.
Jerry Murray.  That had not previous struck me as a possible
interpretation, and I strongly apologize that it could be read that way.

That is not the case.  In fact, a person doesn't want all scientific
work to be done by one person.  Independent confirmation is is of
huge importance.

The largest body of work that I know of on adrenal disease in ferrets
is by Dr. Nico Schoemaker of the Netherlands.

There are also pieces of work on LH, melatonin, Lupron, deslorin/
Suprelorin, etc. by others as well, such as Dr. Murray, Dr Cathy
Johnson-Delaney, and a number more.

The most recent publishing of adrenal work I mentioned here was
"Gonadectomy-induced adrenocortical neoplasia in the domestic ferret
(Mustela putorius furo) and laboratory mouse." by Bielinska M, Kiiveri S,
Parviainen H, Mannisto S, Heikinheimo M, Wilson DB in Vet Pathol.  2006
Mar;43(2):97-117.

*****I want to extend my apologies to Dr. Schoemaker and to all the other
researchers who also worked on adrenal disease for this possible mode of
interpretation of my words.  Obviously, the revelation that my post could
be read that way has deeply startled me.*****

The reason I mentioned Dr. Murray is because I am something of a stickler
for independent confirmation studies, and now that the latest work was
published it seemed to me that all bases had been covered and confirmed
so I asked him if he thought the same.  He did, which reassured me since
I am not a professional in the field and I trust his expertise, and
because endocrinology is very convoluted so I wanted to be sure that my
lack of expertise was not introducing a blank spot of which I should be
aware.  (There will be those who demand even higher degrees of rigor,
and there will be those who will not have waited for independent
confirmation.  Degrees of preferred rigor can vary among people.)

Again, my apologies for that possible way of reading my post.

This apology will of course appear in the three places where I placed
that announcement.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org