From:
Gretchen Bandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:08:42 -0400
I've recently adopted 2 ferrets that are 2 months old.  I've had ferrets
before but have always gotten them as adults and never had to train them.

They have a large cage (about 6 ft.  high with 5 levels) that is
currently split into 2 complete separate areas so they each have a nice
size condo until they are ready to live together (they were adopted
separately).  I've got each of them a large ferret litter box
(rectangular) and I've got them both using them.

The problem I'm encountering is that although they use the box on their
'main' floor and don't mess anywhere else down there - they poop
everywhere else on the second level.  Instead of going downstairs to use
their box they'll just go (often not even in a corner) and go back to
what they were doing (I've watched this).  In their defense, they are
still getting used to getting up and down stairs and are a bit unsteady
on their feet so far.

My question is this - do I need to show some patience as they are still
getting used to maneuvering up and down the ladders and perhaps when
they are a little older and can go up and down with no problem they will
likely use the box?

I'm considering putting a triangle box on each upper floor (to save a
little space) but the idea of keeping all of them clean is daunting (I
hate that the boxes are too big to fit through cage doors so you have to
take the cage all apart to get them out!).  I certainly don't want to do
it if there is still hope of them learning to get to their box when they
need to go.  Also, is there a way to deter them, using a certain cleaner
or something from previous areas?

Just looking for some advice from the pro's :)

Thanks,
Gretchen