Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:28:29 -0400
*Sigh*. We took Zeus to the vet yesterday. He was as perplexed as we
were, as for how quickly the symptoms came on. While trying to feed him
yesterday morning, my youngest son noticed he was choking more than
eating. That was because he was now starting to gasp for breath. We got
him to the vet earlier as my vet called me to check and see how he was.
We had a 10 am appointment. When he heard how bad he was, he cancelled
two appointments to get us in the second they opened. We got there and
by then he was struggling to move. His head and neck worked, but he
couldn't understand why his feet would not listen to his brain. He
began to try and breath with his mouth open. We checked his blood
sugar. It was at 318. His temperature? Didn't even register on the
thermometer - even though he was tucked in my shirt, right next to my
heart. We immediately had him put in an incubator where oxygen was
pumped in - and he had both a hot water bottle - and the heat turned
up on the incubator. After watching him for 10 minutes or so - just
struggle to breathe - watching his lips turning blue - I knew we were
past the point of no return. Zeus was sent to the Rainbow Bridge at
approximately 9:00 a.m.

This was the first time I ever had to help any of my animals to the
bridge. And God did it hurt. I held him as he took his last breath. A
few seconds after he was gone, I felt a cool breeze - whisp past my
ear. I think it was Zeus - whispering he was ok now.....but for me?
The tears won't stop anytime soon.

Saraferret - please, please - help him find Helena, Ricky Artie and
Sinbad Da Kat. He was closest to Artie - so I hope Artie will be
waiting right at the end of the bridge - to help him along. I am pretty
sure he won't walk out onto the bridge as he was afraid of anything
"bridge" like - but if I know Artie - he will be dancing at the other
end, waiting to greet his brother.

My husband cried harder than I did and said - NO MORE FERRETS!. We
can't take this heart break. Then I reminded him of the joy that
they've brought us thru the years - and he said - "but the pain of them
dying is killing YOU. That's why I am crying so hard - most in part for
Zeus, but also in part for you". I must have married the best man in
the world. Here he was feeling horrid himiself, trying to comfort ME. I
just couldn't bring myself to comfort him for some reason. What a lousy
wife I am.

Oh well. This is the end of a saga for us - all of our "oldsters" being
gone. MoJoMan is the next oldest - around 5. Tristan and Isolde are
still babies - both just reaching 1 year old this month. I am praying
that they can help me stop crying - and learn to laugh again with
them.......

One last thing. I asked my vet, "how come it hurts me so much, and is
making me cry so much about a ferret passing"? I mean, I have 1 dog and
4 cats that I love dearly too - but can't imagine feeling the way I do
now - if something were to happen to them.....**don't flame me here**,
I LOVE ALL my fuzzie friends and would hurt bad for any of them. But
you know what his answer was? He said "Because you are a TRUE ferret
person, 've never seen anyone feel so deeply for her ferrets, and care
so much for them. They NEED you". You and Sandy are the only two I know
of that go to the edge for these guys. Sandy - from what I understand
uses Dr. Levinson too. He asked me to reconsider not taking in rescues
anymore because of that. Maybe Sandy and The Dook City kids can help
me out with some kids that need homes.........Call me a glutton for
punishment - but I cannot imagine a life without them. All I can say
now is: Rest in peace my furry friends, I'll be there soon.

Thanks for listening everyone. God Bless each and every one of you -
and all your furry friends. For those of you with sick fuzzies, I pray
for their recovery. For those of you with kids who have just past, I
pray that your heart will heal soon.

Kim and Her Smaller Army of Idiots - missing now and forever,
Helena, Ricky, Artemus & Zeusasaurus. .