From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:13:45 -0500
Thanks for the compliment, Linda!

FERRET DOMINANCE
Since you seemed interested, I'll add that the "ferret scruffing ferret"
behaviour is not simply a show of dominance.  The primary function of the
"kill-switch" is to enable a mom-ferret to carry about her kits without the
kits struggling or squirming.  With her mouth, the mom-ferret grabs the
little one by the back of its neck in order to safely and easily re-locate
it.  Therefore, early in life, the baby-ferret learns that a dominant ferret
(Mom in this case) can control him by this means.  Later in life, ferrets
play ferret-games in which they establish dominance and a pecking-order
using a dominance/control technique with which they are already familiar.
Pretty nifty!

Goodness, so many people have been adopting new babies lately!  I hope
everyone is happy with their new little ones!  I imagine many of you are
seeing just this sort of pecking order establishment!

HELP REQUEST
By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for getting a ferret to ingest
1/4 of a tablet that the vet has prescribed (metronidazole for a possible
helicobacter infection)?  I have tried crushing it, mixing it with water,
and squirting it gently in his mouth.  I have also tried crushing it and
mixing it with Ferretone.  After one drop, he "freaks out", panics, shakes
his head, etc.  Help!

THANK YOU
Speaking of the helicobacter infection, I would like to send a very big
thank you to Dr.  Williams for helping out my vet with the diagnosis.  My
vet said that he always welcomes input (a good sign!).  I hope we're on the
way to improving Paleface's stomach!  Chere, your tribute to good vets was
so beautiful!  I certainly believe that it is fitting homage to Dr.
Williams.  I absolutely couldn't offer a more wonderful thank you.

Cheers,
Gina
and
Paleface (Let go, let go; unhand my neck!)