From:
Amy Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:19:40 EST
First, I would like to say thank you to the "keepers" of the FML.
Although some postings may be considered to be controversial, the majority
of postings are very informational.  I am relatively new to the world of
carpetsharks (3 years).  I have three: Sable 4 y/o female (yes, sable
coloration), Bear 1.5 y/o male (cream color w/Siamese mask & approx. 3.5
pounds), and Princess approx. 1 y/o rescue (blaze gray & white).  (all
have been tested and are ADV negative)

I have only had Princess since December 26.  I had gone to my local humane
society to purchase a 2002 license for my one dog (the other is tattooed).
They had this precious little girl in a cage on top of a rabbit pen with
a sign "do not touch - bites!".  The sign was true - she nailed my finger
and tore into one of the shelter staff members.  I asked about adoption or
fostering.  They turned me down deeming her "unadoptable".  I had already
made arrangements to travel to the closest office of the Pennsylvania
Ferret Rescue (PFRA) on Wednesday so I called the rescue director.  Mary
was concerned and called the humane society and had them release the
ferret to me on behalf of the PFRA (if she was not picked up on Wednesday,
she was going to be "put down" on Thursday).  I took her down to Mary's
and she looked her over and checked her general health.  We trimmed her
nails and deemed that she is deaf.  Mary gave me permission to take her
back home and foster her.  I am happy to say - we are living happily ever
after.  Princess has not even attempted to nip me since bringing her home
and after two nights of separation, I placed her into my large cage with
my two and now they snuggle into their sleeper at night in one big ferret
ball.  Princess has gained weight and her fur is much softer and shinier
after a bath, attention, and endless love & friendship from her "mother"
and new brother & sister.  As a final note: I contacted the Executive
Director who asked me for the PFRA information and stated that one task
for the board is to compile an information booklet for staff members
containing contacts for rescue centers.  If a little one can be adopted
out to a new family from a humane society - wonderful.  But if it has
"behavioral problems" and is otherwise deemed unadoptable, call in someone
knowledgeable who knows ferrets and give the little one a second chance.

Trimming Nails: Even the most "squirmy" ferret will usually become
preoccupied with a bit of ferretone, ferretvite, nutrical, etc. when
placed onto their belly fur allowing you the necessary time to trim
their nails single handedly.

Bedding Material: I work in an office and occasionally bring home a bag
of the cross-cut paper from the shredder.  I place it on the very bottom
layer of my cage (4-story superpet) and they will dig through it and when
accidents occur, the paper soaks up the wetness and gives you easy
cleanup.  In their litter pans, I use wood stove pellets - much less
expensive than any type of litter and works wonderfully containing any
odor and wetness.  I change mine every day and put two scoops into each
litter box.

Oh yes - one more thing.  I also have a "J-Channel" feeder on my ferret
cage because it is more difficult for them to mischievous and empty the
dish.  This is the same type of feeder that was in the pictures of the MF
"raid".  They are by no means automatic feeders - but it does allow for
larger quantities of food to be available especially for multi-ferret
homes.  I have more opinions but I will save those for another posting.

Thank you.

 ... Amy J. Long - Altoona, PA
Bear, Sable, Princess (as well as dogs, cats, birds & fish)