From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 09:47:05 -0400
Pat Ball asked:
> Waardenburg's Syndrome. [...]  What is it, is it serious, and if so,
> how serious, etc.

In humans, roughly speaking, it's a genetic "flaw" whose characteristic
signs are a white lock on the forehead, wide-spaced eyes, and deafness.
Ferrets with a white stripe and wide-spaced eyes are often, though not
always, deaf; the obvious guess is that it's caused by a similar genetic
condition.  (It's been seen in other species -- e.g., cats -- too.)

Pat Marquardt wrote about Doofus the ferret, the 1994 Homecoming King of
Rice University.  There's a copy of that picture on the Ferret Photo Gallery
WWW page.  (Rice is my alma mater.) Doofus is much cuter than some of the
other Homecoming royalty Rice has elected -- one year the Queen was a
refrigerator.

Laura L'Heureux asked about a bumper sticker:
> I have this picture in my mind of a ferret behind prison bars with
> the words something like 'Free California Ferrets'.

Last I saw, they were available from CDFA and Ferretware, 1-800-FERRETW.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central<http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/central.html>