From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 10:58:32 -0400
I agree with Alicia whole-heartedly here.  She is right, there are many
signs indicating an adrenal problem, and possibly others as well.  You need
a skilled ferret surgeon for Percy.  I have recently learned that adrenal
tumors in males can cause problems with the urinary tract and function also,
and this seems to be what you are describing.  Thinning hair on the chest
and belly, back legs, shoulders, etc., are all classic signs.  (I just went
through adrenal surgery with a male, he had all these symptoms, plus
thinning hair on the tail also, however, he did not display urinary problems
but that would likely have developed in time.  He came through with flying
colors, by the way.)

Lynn, if you are not completely confident in the diagnosis, treatment, and
skills of your current vet, check the STAR list, call some ferret
shelters/clubs/etc., in your area to get a referrence, or as a last resort,
email me and I will try to help you locate someone to help.  I have
developed contacts in places you wouldn't believe and won't go into that,
and only say 'as a last resort' because my filing system looks like it was
created by ferrets, and I am **extremely** busy lately with tons of my own
fuzzy-stuff to attend to.  But I will be more than happy to help if I can.

I know others may disagree, but personally I do not have alot of confidence
in the Adrenal Panel blood testing.  Folks, this is a new proceedure for
ferrets and they don't have all the bugs worked out of it yet.  My vet is
very, very knowledgeable and up to date on all the latest, I *believe* in
this man, and *know* that he would stop at nothing to get the best for the
ferrets in need in the way of tests, treatment, or whatever (see Blanca's
posts about Dr. K and Ollie for another persons opinion of my vet) but upon
discussing the U of T Adrenal Panel, he does not have alot of confidence in
it as we do not really have "normal" established yet in order to determine
what is not normal, and he says that at best the test is only perhaps 50
percent accurate.  Personally, if an ultrasound is not available (I *do*
believe in those if performed by a very skilled vet or technician), then I
would consider exploratory surgery.  I don't bet, but I'd bet a whole
quarter (the *most* I ever bet) on this one that Alicia is correct, that
adrenal problems will be discovered.

The other symptoms that are causing confusion and doubt as to it being
adrenal, could be from another problem running concurrently with the adrenal
condition.

As far as waiting....DON'T!!!!!....... I have seen adrenal tumors change and
grow so fast it is mind-boggling.  Sammy's adrenal condition was caught
early on, in fact, upon an ultrasound test (by someone with amazing skill
and accuracy in them) there was no tumor to be found at all.  She had a
*very* swollen vulva so we *knew* something was going on and hormone
infections (in case of left-over ovarian tissue) told us the signs we were
seeing were not from the presence of ovarian tissue.  Anyway, six weeks
later upon re-check, Sammy's tumor was *very* present, and had even invaded
the vena cava by this time only allowing for 80 percent removal of the
tumor.  They grow fast folks.  (Sammy will need meds for the rest of her
life now, and her time is shortened, I am sure.) Another important point is
that you have no way to know how long a tumor has been present, or how
advanced it is, by the time the symptoms apprear....it can be too late to
remove all of the tumor even before any hair loss or swelling is present!

Just my thoughts..
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter