From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 20:11:11 EST
Okay, I know I posted this before, but re: Cashew clamping on & not
letting go: the easiest way to get him to let go is to put your
fingers lightly over his nostrils.  He will have to let go to breathe.

I think whoever told you that you are dealing with a ferret with an
attitude is sadly mistaken.  He's a *baby* showing some relatively
normal play behavior.  He just needs to learn he can't play with *you*
that way.  Though the bites can be painful, please don't take it
personally.  I found that *not* putting (Norman) down when he bit was
helpful, and I also hissed at him (ferret for 'knock it off') and blew
on his face and said "no!" I also think wearing them out with plenty
of play (something like tug-of- war with a towel so he can't get a
your hands) is helpful.  I hope you can get through the biting stage
because I am sure Cashew is basically a very lovable little fuzzbean.

Dick--your story about the ferret starting to eat again was very
beautiful.  Says a lot about the power of love.

Re: countertops
I have all the top drawers in my kitchen taped with duct tape to keep
a certain ferret, whose name won't be mentioned, off the kitchen
counters.  Looks tacky, works great.  (They still have access to all
the drawers, though.)

Rabies testing:
I know I posted this before, and I apologize if I missed the answer: how *do*
they test humans for rabies and why can't this method be used on animals?

--Ronnie and...
Cinderella ("You can't go to work, playtime isn't over yet")
Norman ("LAPRA: do you guys need help with any repotting?  It's my
       specialty and mom doesn't let me do it")
Ralph ("Okay, enough kisses. Put me down so I can do some serious playing!")