From:
Cynthia Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:03:39 -0500
Hello all..

Yes ferret math has struck again.  A few days ago while searching the web I
ran across a local college student who need to sell his ferrets..it seems
the dorm was not a ferret friendly zone.  I emailed him and told him I
would love to adopt his two ten month old babies but could offer no money
as my vet bills are high pretty high right now.  He was asking $300 for
both girls, their cage and supplies.  He initially declined my offer but
called last night asking if the offer was still open...I said YES!!!  Today
I picked up two furry white girls (that makes for 4 albinos in the group)
and their supplies (food and odd and ends).  I told him I did not need the
cage and suggested that he try to sell it or donate it to a shelter.  He
indicated he would try to sell it and asked for my assistance.

When I reached into the box to pick up the little ones I just about lost a
hand.  I have a few holes in my hand to prove it...OUCH!!!  The one was not
very happy and pretty shock up.  He indicated that the ferrets had been in
their cage almost all the time and the cage was kept in his closet in the
dorm room.  He said that the bitting behavior had just started the day
before.  When I got them home, I had their new house ready for them.
Within 30 sec.,the biting one (Thistle...I renamed her) found an escape
route out to the cage.  I had revamped my samoyeds metal wire dog cage for
them as I didn't want to throw them in with the others too quick plus
figured things are getting crowded in their.  With some help from my
neighbor I think I have blocked the escape route sufficiently.  The already
chowed down a bunch to eat..that was the firsrt thing they went for in the
cage.  He had been using scoopable little but I replaced it with my
pellets.  After one accident I think it will take a bit for them to get use
to the new litter box and all.

Now all are resting soundly..they other five are a wee bit curious.  I have
never had a problem introducing my ferrets to one another but then again I
have been their only owner.  These two play well together...the biting
habit seems to be solely for humans.  I was told they are up on their shot
and not due to Feb.  Due I take his word or should I schedule a vet appt.
He didn't have any of the paper work on them but seemed to know what he was
talking about in regard to the shots.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..I really fell I did the right thing
by giving them a home..just hope now that they can settle in and relax.
Living in a closet was not much fun I am sure.

Anyhow, the college student requested that I let others know he has a two
story metal cage for sale.  If you are interested in his email address..let
me know via email.  I have his ok to give it out.

Cynthia and the furry heard of 7....Malan, Jaz, Einney, Lynk, Banana and
the two new additions....Thistle and Ivy ( and the sammy who thinks they
are all for lunch...Kuma)