From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 18:12:49 -0500
For anyone who does ferret rescue, or any other type of animal rescue,
consider getting the rabies pre-exposure vaccinations.  It is a series of
three shots (exactly the same ones you get post-exposure), pretty
expensive, but worth it if you're ever bitten by a suspicious animal.  I
just completed the series for wildlife rescue and rehabilitation.  I got
them through the local health department.  Some doctors will give them
but you have to check around.

If you're bitten by a rabid animal (or suspected one), you need a booster
(I think.  I haven't tested that theory yet).  Other than that, you have
your titers checked once a year and get a booster if they're low.  It's a
small price to pay if you're exposed to rabies.  If you have not had the
pre-exposure series, I believe you are required to take a total of 9 shots
post-exposure.

Katharine