From:
MR FREDERICK E RAHNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 1995 19:53:10 EDT
It's been almost a month since my dear Abbey passed on.  I think about her
alot and miss her very much.  About 2 weeks ago I went down to Maryland to
a rescue shelter run by Fran Wiles.  I had talked to her for the first
time just after Abbey died, and found out she had a little girl Abbey's
age (1 year), that had just come in.  The poor little one had been kept in
her cage by her previous owner, unspayed along with an unneutered male,
and was being "assaulted" numerous times a day.  The owner hated her and
dumped her off at the shelter, thank God.  Fran had her spayed
immediately.  The vet said it was OK even though she was in heat at the
time.  Anyway, I had been keeping tabs w/ Fran and 10 days later went to
get her.  I arrived at Fran's place.  Fran had "Niki" out playing inside
the house and when she saw me drive up she told her, "You're new owner's
here".  According to Fran, Niki came to a complete standstill with ears
perked.  When I entered the house and Niki saw me she went absolutely wild
with excitement and I was struck by the fact that, aside from her coat
being a lighter shade, she was the exact image of Abbey.  After our
delightful visit at Frans, we went home to DE.  When we got home, I let
Niki out to explore.  Mickey and Britches (the cat) received her without
batting an eyebrow.  Actually, they treated her with fimiliarity which
slightly baffled me.  Within the first two days she was here I found her
in the secret hiding place, an empty drawer in the end table in the living
room where Abbey slept regularly.  I was also amazed when I saw that Niki
had somewhere found Abbeys favorite toy, a green squishball, and was
carrying it around with her.  I don't know what to think about these
strange coincidences, but her similarity to Abbey is almost spooky.  I
have even accidentally called her by Abbeys name a couple of times.  All I
know is that everyone here is very happy and at peace.  I don't know what
animal Niki's previous owner was referring to when he called her
"horrible", because it is certainly not Niki.  She is extremely gentle,
playful, and affectionate.  She dosen't bite or nip, but gives kisses when
held up to my face.  She is one of the best ferrets I have ever known and
I thank God for sending her (back?) to me.

In Wonder in DE,
Fred, Mickey and Niki...