From:
D CHRISTEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 18:00:00 -0000
Hello All FML'rs,
I must take the time to introduce myself and my family of 10+1 ferret
angel/girl... i have been a subscriber since January, 00..  I do more
reading than writing, but you learn more that way.  I have written to a few
of you folks, got a few replys.  Truly enjoy the songs, and have shared
them w/friends...cried w/those who have lost their little ones....from the
tragic - to - the tragic?  Every loss is painful especially when we have
developed such a deep loving bond w/these marvelous little creatures.

My family of ferrets, and i don't know my colors, so hard to describe them
by anything but names...are Zeus, my big baby boy, Bandit, for his mask,
Jalepeno' for her feisty courage, (THE BEGINNING OF FERRET MATH).  Then
there were 3, that was more than a year ago, since then i have been adopted
by some lovely little orphan girls, Crimson & Clover, they came with their
given names, Crimson looks a lot like bandit, but just different enough to
be able to know who i have in my arms...Clover looks like Jalepeno', but
has two dots at her brows...her distinctive marks...they came to me through
my daughter, because "they were biters?" COULD FOOL ME NOW.  From there,
due to a birth in the (HUMAN) family, i was again adopted by Athena (my
angel/girl), who so much looks like Jalepeno', and her cage mate Hera', my
first red eyed white?  Probably due to the fact that i was new at this,
was not a subscriber to FML, and just plain dumb, I lost Athena in
January...she just quit eating...the vet I WAS going to, finally admitted
to me, he just didn't know ferrets that well...well...Athena is now my
angel girl.  Shortly after i lost her, i got a call from the Humane
Shelter, asking if i would be interested in 2 older boys...about 7 y/old, I
called my husband, he said when can you get them, and i told him i was on
my way...Home came Samson another red eyed white?, and My Odysseus/ake
Odie...who is so prescious in my eyes...their family was having a
baby...too...i got them w/no information on diet, names or such...so...i
was frantically trying to keep them from following Athena to her
demise...Odie lost weight...so much so his beautiful little eyes were sunk
in his head, well some folks that run a ferret shelter refered me to the
FML...gave me a recipe to use, and i have been grateful ever since...these
folks w/get a donation for their shelter from me, as well as a few others
to meet the challenge coming forth in the last few issues.

After bringing the boys home, i called the HU/Soc. back and asked them a
few more questions about the boys, went back to pick up a dinky little
cage/with a promise from (?), that he would be bringing in a larger cage
(?), i wonder if there ever was one...and a baggie of food that he left
w/them....as i was about to leave, the girls said wait a minute, 2 more are
coming in...and that is how i got Sadie and Jasmine...Sadie looks like
Peenie, and Clover but has a foofey head, and Jasmine is the tiniest of
Bandit, Crimson color...my last 2 girls came into the shelter in paper
lunch bags...so there is my ferret math....story...i love everyone of them,
and they all love me back...yes they had BEEN biters, but w/a LOT OF
PATIENCE AND SIGHS...FROM THE PAIN...they grew to trust me, and quit
biting...lots of love, playtime and handling, Samson bit HARD, so hard that
i grew apprehensive when i wanted to pick him up, but i didn't quit either,
and now he occasionally gives me kisses...tenderizing, i don't think so,
but w/Sadie yes...she is still an ankle biter, but i think for attention
more than anything else.  I work 2 jobs, have 3 cats, a daughter &
husband...many rats...and 12 shibunkin & black moor goldfish to boot...and
don't forget our dog Ulyssees and Lynners greyhound Trevor...( I deliver
newspapers in the wee hours of the morning when many of you sleep)

I don't like to put my 2 cents in, because it usually isn't really worth
that much, but i really appreciate the advice and information, and love
that comes across from everyone.  I wish i had a great big house, and lots
of money...especially for those ferrets that have been tossed to the
wayside because they were found to be too time consuming and work.  It is
all sorts of animals, i have a girlfriend that has taken in very large
Iguanas that were turned back over to the pet store...and numerous other
animals.

I am sorry but i must say this, i really don't like to read the
arguments... on the post.  We have a common bond and that is our love for a
particular little animal, we are here to share, not point fingers...and
there is no one who is perfect...or he/she would have died for all of us.
My purpose for joining this list is to read, share and learn all that i can
to provide for my babies and care for them as best as i can, until i have
learned a better way.

You are all very interesting people and i love to read all that you have
to say...some of the medical is pretty boggling to me, but if i read it
enough, i will learn it well.  You who have been ferret owners for a long
time are my teachers, i am your student...please teach me well.  I work in
a jewelry department at a department store, i meet many people who seem to
define their worth by how much or how big their jewelry is, i hope that our
purpose for this mail is for the continuous cause for our furried friends
and babies...dooks to you all...i may eat my words later, but for
now...this has grown quite large, i shall retire to my lurking status for a
while longer...

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my previous mail, i appreciate all
the suggestions and helpful hints in ferret care.  I am not posting anon, i
am not a coward.  I am a grown woman...You have made me laugh, you have
made me cry...you have broken my heart, because yours was broken...i am a
ferret owner and lover of the tiny beast...i care for you.

sincerely, donna
P.S., Sorry this was so long, hope i dind't forget anyone either.  I also
hpe that i did this right or i will just get it back, eh?