From:
Marguerite Rauenzahn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:06:01 +0000
I am a former employee with Petco and that company leaves alot to be
desired.  I have a great ferret story to show you what kind of company
this is.  I quit Petco and filed charges of Harrassment and was able
to collect unemployeement due to the work place being one of a Hostile
Environment.  When I would raise issues about covering the department,
or the care for the animals, my hours were cut.

Here is the ferret story.  A lady purchased a ferret from our store.  She
only had the ferret a short time and she brought the ferret back to Petco
because it was dead.  She did not know why it died, we assumed it was
electrution because she said it was running her her house, and it went to
another room and then all of a sudden, she hear the ferret cry and it was
dead when she got there.  She was so upset and was crying so much.  Our
manager came and said she would have an autopsy (nacrospy SP?) done on
the ferret.  They put the ferret into the breakroom refrigator to
preserve the body until the manager could take the ferret to the vet in
the morning.  Well, we all assumed this was done.

About 2 weeks later, I went to get vegatables out of the refrigator for
the animals, and low and behold, there was the ferret.......rotting away.
I was so appauled by this, and confronted the manager.  Her answer
was......."Well, I did not take the ferret to the vet because I thought
if it was something WE could have prevented, I would have been upset."

Now what kind of answer is that.  If it is something you can prevent.....
by all means.........PREVENT IT!

I think overall the company is not a bad company, however, I don't
believe any store should sell animals.......and this is just because I
have worked in them.  It is too hard to screen people on the front end.
It is very easy to give someone a pet, who has not done any research on
that pet.  I also found with Petco, if you knew what you were doing, and
you bucked what they wanted, you were not welcome there.  At my Petco,
they got rid of all the qualified people.  I have a vet assistant degree.
I chose to work at Petco, because I love animals, love dealing with the
public and needed a bit of an income.  I thought it was a good idea at
the time.  However, the upper management are managers, they have no pet
expirence and do not know what goes on during the day.  That is where the
main problem lies.  They have these great ideas to do, like with displays
etc, however, they don't take in mind that it may not be the best for
the animal.  They are also so into cost cutting, that they don't again
take the animals needs into consideration.  We were the number 1 company
in the district at one time, when the new management came in, they ran
our store into the hole.  It is ashame.

Anayway, that is my little Petco story.  Leaving the store and the
animals was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do......I felt
like I left those animals that were in my care to fend for themselves
when I left.  Had the managment not been so hostile, I would have
stayed and tried to make a change there.....

Marguerite