From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 06:27:17 -0500
>Like candy (Hi A-X) for children this stuff is good and tasty in small
>amounts but is potentially unhealthy in large amounts.

Candy and high potency vitamins are still not synonymous.  Just ask the
manufacturers of Flintstone vitamins;-).  To attempt this comparison is
not only inappropriate, it's unsafe and suggests irresponsibility by
presenting a misleading and vague conclusion.

>You can dilute but that really isn't necessary - the diluting oils are not
>"better" really.

I guess that depends on how you define better.  If you mean better tasting,
no.  If you mean better for you from a concern of too much fatty acid
content, yes.  If you mean better from a cost perspective, yes.

Ferretone and Linatone are both very high potency supplements.  Unless you
are feeding your ferret 8-1 ferret diet--which is purposely formulated to
*need* these supplements, care should be exercised when offering any as a
treat.  Sometime ago a professional survey was conducted in an attempt to
better define a "safe" amount since "a little" or "not too much" are
woefully vague.  Concerns were raised as to both the Vitamin A ( a fat
soluble vitamin) content and the High Fatty Acid content.  The survey was
also instigated by the fact that many ferrets find this stuff an
irresistible "treat"!

Vitamin A concern:
Well, as it turns out, although there was a perfectly reasonable concern for
Vit A overdose, I was unable to confirm one case concerning this supplement
and its use in ferrets.  Now, this does not mean that it has *not* occurred,
just that it's difficult to substantiate.  Every time I heard of a case, my
attempts to verify the case failed.  And of the ferretwise vets that
participated, little concern was raised over this issue.  However, such was
not the case for high fatty acid ingestion.

High Fatty Acids:
While both Vitamin A and High Fatty Acids are necessary for proper
metabolism and nutrition, too much of a good thing can be very bad according
the survey's participants.  Some vets cited cases where such disorders as
steatitis, steatosis, and other disorders developed and the ingestion of
high quantities of these supplements were suspected when symptoms *appeared*
to be idiopathic.  Upon removal of these supplements, recovery was noted
providing this was accomplished in a timely manner.  This would appear to
confirm that the symptoms were the result of these supplements.

What's too much, too little, and what's ok?
While the responses varied among participants, this variation was small and
of little significance.  And while several strongly suggested "none", not
one participant even approached the higher end of the scale(5ml/day).  So,
according to the participants of this study, the "safe" amount for the
"normal, healthy, adult ferret" being fed a proper diet *other* than Kaytee
8-1 is 5-8 drops per week since most of the popular and veterinary accepted
diets already contain daily requirements.

Limitations:
Keep in mind that vets, as most medical practitioners, are generally
somewhat conservative in their opinions, even in confidentiality.  This is
the nature of the field, and perhaps a very good one.  Also, this survey has
yet to be repeated and further investigation is appropriate.  The sample was
in no way representative of all vets as it only considered those nationally
and locally recognized as ferret wise vets, and not all of them participated
in this survey, although the vast majority asked did respond.  Due to the
overall results and small variation in responses, this strongly suggests a
consistency in representation and result.

What you can do so you have a happy but healthy fuzzbutt:
You can "cut" or reduce the concentration of these supplements by adding
less potent parts of Canola Oil without any marked change in fuzzbutt
reaction.  While this does *not* render this inert, it does increase the
margin of tolerance.  Some have suggested butter as a treat, once you tap it
on their nose, they often love it just as much.  Although butter is a dairy
product and ferrets have demonstrated a dairy intolerance, this small amount
should have no marked effect.  It is *not* recommended that you use Mineral
Oil, since this thwarts the entire normal digestive actions by preventing
the absorption of many nutrients and calories.

So, there you have it.  There is still a chance for a happy and satiated
ferret providing you exercise due caution.  These supplements have been
very helpful during practices such as medication admin., nail trimming,
and training.  However, please keep in mind just *one* drop goes a very
long way.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi