From:
Liz Zink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:06:28 GMT
I see I'm not the only one to have holiday sickness with the fuzzies.  My
vet & I are rather at our wits' ends trying to figure out what is going on
with my 2 year old female, Inara.  I'm hoping that someone else might have
suggestions, or thoughts on this.

About 4 months ago, Inara's stomach started bloating up, and we had x-rays
that showed it had pretty much taken over her body cavity it was so
swollen.  We had a round of amoxicillan for 2 weeks & some pepto bismol,
which definitely seemed to make her more comfortable, but did not help
the bloating.  We had exploratory surgery done to check for a blockage,
bloodwork for other diseases, etc.  Nothing, except that the lining of her
stomach was slightly inflamed, however, there was no bacteria which would
indicate heliobacter problems.

After surgery, she spent more time on amoxicillan and did very well, I also
had her on duck soup for a few days.  I think I was also giving her one
dose of pepto a day.  After she went off the amoxi & pepto, the poor fert
started heaving and throwing up, you could tell she was in serious pain.
Throughout all of this, she has had regular bowel movements, no strange
colors, etc.

The vet had me put her back on amoxi, pepto & duck soup to try and clear up
any lingering stomach infection, and she did fine.  After the dose of amoxi
was finished, she has gone right back to the terrible throwing up.  Her
stomach is swollen again, and she looks miserable.  Does anyone have any
ideas on what is going on here?  I've been around the block with ferrets
for 8 years and never seen anything like this before.

Any ideas would be WONDERFUL!  Happy new year wishes to everyone.

Thanks,

Liz Zink, major lurker, but longtime member of the FML

Inara(my tummy hurts!), Shadow & Devi