From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:17:08 -0000
>From:    MC <[log in to unmask]>
>... Amy in Perth tells me they have a pet 'mince' that is meat..and that
>ferrets there regularly dine on this mince.  I read mention of increased
>meat in the diets of Euro ferrets and in England, working ferrets are fed
>parts of the rabbits they are used to flush.  Could this fresh meat diet
>be a reason for longevity and better health?

I've recently added pigeon to some of my ferrets diet, a friend who had
been doing some pest control gave me a bag of them.  One of my girls who
had been very ill last year with E-coli really tucked into the pigeon -
since her 98% recovery she has developed a real taste for raw meat.  Spooky
loves rabbit - the only bit of the rabbit that isn't put in the cage is the
guts (most wild rabbits suffer from tape worm) and it is best if the rabbit
has been frozen first, I don't know whether or not it kills any eggs or
other parasites but I hope it does.

>Many people also feed more than just pet mince.  They feed all different
>types of meats cut up in chunks, give raw chicken wings and necks
>regularly, they give pet milk (many times milk, raw egg, and a shreaded
>wheat type cereal), etc.  Most ferrets seem to be better muscled than
>most ferrets I have seen in the US and are very healthy.

Another reason for the better muscle could be because ferrets that are
neutered in the UK aren't done until they are at least 6 months old and
fully mature.

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.