From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:02:56 -0500
>From:    SilkLady 7 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: having a problem with biting
>I am ahaving a problem with biting!  He is 9 wks.old and I know that kits
>bite alot when they're young, but he bites all the time!

Well at 9 weeks most ferrets, as you know, can be "nippy".  Some are far
more nippy than others however, so "normal" covers a wide spectrum of
degrees.  You've said that you've tried everything, but perhaps there is a
matter of degree of method rather than the method itself.  Most people are
uncomfortable "nose flicking" a ferret hard enough to actually dissuade this
behavior, especially with a kit.  You know it's hard enough when the ferret
immediately backs away and snorts and shakes their head(a nose is a very
tender but resilient thing).

It is important to make sure that you do not have any sharp or jagged
fingernails and I would strongly suggest you increase the force
"incrementally" but swiftly until the desired result or reaction is
observed.  You can use your own cheek as a could starting point(unless you
go by the nickname "LeatherFace") of reference as to the force used.  When
it's uncomfortable for you, it will most likely be uncomfortable for your
fuzzie.  Now, a problem also occurs if enough force is *not* used: that is
the ferret will only think you are playing and will actually increase the
level of aggression.

As I've stated, some people are *very* uncomfortable using this method with
*any* ferret, especially a tender but feisty kit.  There are alternative
methods but perhaps this is one of the quickest providing the correct force,
and consistent application.  You can even provoke the ferret to exhibit this
behavior by playing aggressively at which time you would apply your "flick".
While this may sound cruel to some, this method (commonly called "flooding
en vivo") actually speeds up the whole process and spares the ferret and you
a whole lot of discomfort overtime and you and your fuzzie will be much
happier.

Another method, for the brave of heart, is using the gag reflex to
facilitate proper learning.  Again, please make sure your fingers are clean
and nails well trimmed when applying this method and you should probably
wait until your fuzzie is at least 12 weeks old due to the size of the
ferret's oral cavity (more on this delay later).  A brief description is as
follows: When the ferret opens their mouth, place your finger inside his or
her mouth and press down on the *back* of the tongue.  This elicits a most
unpleasant feeling in your ferret and s/he will instinctively open wider
rather than bite down(ever try and keep your mouth shut when you're ready to
puke, messy).  The trick and pitfall with this method are these: one) if you
fail to press at the proper area of the tongue, you risk getting bitten
harder, ouch; and two) do not under any circumstance block the passage way
further back.

Again, the same reaction as in the previous application will be observed
sans the snorting, and the same flooding en vivo technique holds true.

In both methods it is very important that you institute immediate follow up
hugs, gentle strokes, and ensuring kind words just seconds after any
punishment is used otherwise you risk having a scared or threatened animal
which serves no good purpose.

Dominance is sometimes an issue and this can be correctly established by
scruffing the ferret in a prone position while gently pressing down to
restrict movement for only about five seconds(a long time to a ferret).
This is the same technique used by ferrets themselves (the back of the neck
being a psycho-sexual point), so they quickly get the point.  When you
release, do so quickly, and again, within a brief period, hug, stroke, and
talk gently to your ferret for the reasons noted above.

You can, during each of these applications, use a firm and identical vocal
command like "NO".  Do not scream it out, but say it clearly with the
identical tone, level, and annunciation *every* time.  Do not say *anything*
else during this command.  Ferrets, like people, get confused easily.  In
time, the same "NO" by *itself* can be enough to warn a wayward ferret when
even approaching a too strong bite.  And indeed this "NO" can be used
effectively for later training purposes by the principals called
"generalization" and "association".

Above all, show patience, consistency, and love throughout any behavioral
training.  Personally--and I don't think there is any ferret related data to
support this--I would delay another two to three weeks before using any
corrective action to help instill feelings of safety and perhaps the kit
will simply outgrow this teething or oral "stage".  Some believe this stage
is a normal process of weaning.  While some may strongly disagree with any
delay, thinking "the earlier the better", I prefer to allow the opportunity
to have nature take its course whenever possible, especially at such a
tender age.  Again, this belief is only my personal philosophy.

Good luck, and if you would like to contact me further on this issue, you
are welcome to privately do so at anytime.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi