From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 22:38:07 -0400
I called the HSUS today and asked for a copy of the file that Rachel Lamb
mentioned in the CBS broadcast on 5/31.  I'll keep you posted on when (and I
do mean when) I get it.  I'm local - they can't avoid me.

I'm willing to bet the Constantine and Kiser report is part of this file, and
that most ferret bites are reports from the 1980's.  The state of VA
mentioned several "bite incidents" with ferrets to me at one time, and I
received copies of those, and they were all very old and guess what - I would
put every single one of them in the parental neglect category.  How can
parents leave their small infants and babies unattended?????  Why must the
"dumb" animal bear the blame?

The HSUS was sure getting a lot of complaints about the CBS show today too -
keep up the phone calls and get those letters out!

Paul Irwin, President, HSUS
2100 L Street NW
Washington, DC  20037
(202) 452-1100

The HSUS "spokperson" was Rachael Lamb, Companion animal division.

Good Morning Show, (212) 975-2824
Producer's name is Andy Jones.
Fax number (212) 975-2115.

as Bill Phillips says, "No surrender!"

BTW, not ALL of the HSUS people feel the way Ms. Lamb does.  I am NOT aware
of any activity by the HSUS to get ferrets banned in the US, but I do know
they don't want another specie showing up in animal shelters to be unwanted,
and THAT is why STAR* is here - to take care of rescueing ferrets.