From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 12:34:50 -0500
> Ouellette is a pretty
> common name in this area (past Canadian migration is a factor here...) but
> it's nice to hear of other Ouellette's out around the country.  Actually,
> I'm hoping to relocate to Vegas someday (my parents,brother,sister all
> live out there), I'm wimping out with these damned winters! So I'd be
> fairly close to Sam, maybe we can meet up someday.  Anyone aware of
> Ferret Groups/Associations in Vegas?  I mentioned in a past article that

I know now  where I went wrong! :-)  I was confusing you with Matt
Ouimette and brother Sam of the Utah Ferret Association.  Not that the
names are that similar, but they're close enough for someone not paying
attention to get confused... so sorry! :-)

As for ferret organizations in Nevada, I don't know of one, though I do
have a CompuServe regular who just moved there.

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Date:   Fri, 11 Feb 1994 11:57:44 -0500
> Subject: cavities in ferrets

Rochelle, your vet should be able to clean Fezzik's teeth if he has
tartar.  To prevent tartar, you should only use dry food, not wet food.
If the vet wasn't looking at his teeth, he wouldn't see if there was a
problem.  I'd take Fezzik back to the vet.

> From: Mooney Norma <[log in to unmask]>

>         MOLLY *REALLY* loves her visits with my boyfriends ferret, and
> this makes me think that she wouldn't mind a more permanent addition to
> the family, but i was just wondering if there is any type of dog that
> "works" especially well with a ferret.

You don't want a dog with a high-strung temperament, or one that's
particularly excitable.  The only dog who ever met my ferrets was my
brother's mutt, Higgins, who thought Bandit was the neatest thing, and to
prove it, gave him a big lick across the face.  Bandit didn't like this
and bit him on the nose, and Higgins tried to bite Bandit.  We kept them
separated after that.  Higgins kept trying to convince us that he wouldn't
hurt Bandit, but we felt he was just too high-strung.  I know of many
people of have successfully mixed dogs and ferrets, though.

> p.s. i noticed that someone else on the list has a ferret named Molly...Neat!

Our Molly is a real hellion.  It's actually short for Maledicta, Latin for
"evil speech," because she squeals so much. :-)

> From: Tarra C Lindborg <[log in to unmask]>

> In regards to keeping the bowl full so the furries can eat anytime, I
> have been told  (and read) that they are to be fed twice a day, and not
> to leave their bowls down all the time.  But, for all I know, keeping the
> food available at all times is the right thing to do.

[deletions]
> I think our Aussie  eats a lot when she is locked
> up and bored.  (We only let them out when we are home)  With no food
> availaable to relieve her boredom, she won't over eat.  Right?

I've never known ferrets to eat out of boredom.  They sleep most of the
time when you're not around.  We have five and have had ferrets for
nearly six years and have always fed them free choice, leaving a bowl
full at all times.  Ferrets do tend to put on more weight during the
winter, but tend to lose it in the spring.  How much does Aussie weigh,
anyway?

> From: Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: V'orri's surgery

Janice, good luck with V'orri.  Molly had her right adrenal gland rumoved
last spring, and recovered from the surgery very quickly.  In fact, the
vet told us she started scratching at the cage door as soon as she came
out of the anethesia and didn't stop until we picked her up a day later!
I'm sure he'll be fine.

> However - can anyone send me
> a copy of ferret _requirements_ to compare to what we're supplying from
> the various diets we use; or can someone direct me to an article which
> will give me more recent data than _Biology & Diseases_. I may also

Good luck finding info on ferret dietary regquirements.  I've never seen
them anywhere.  I'm told ferrets and mink have similar nutritional needs,
FWIW.

To Potpie and Melissa in Michigan:

To learn more about the ferret legalization effort in Michigan, contact:

        Micki Wingate
        Great Lakes Ferret Association
        27654 South Pointe
        Grosse Ile, MI 48138
        313-587-3959

> I try to keep Potpie on a bathing schedule of about once a week; she's musky,
> and it doesn't bother me, but I don't live alone. However, I've noticed
> she has dry skin problems after bathing (I use baby shampoo). Is there any
> way to moderate the dry skin effects, especially in the winter?

Try using a conditioner after the bath.  There are ferret shampoos and
conditioners available.  One company that cmes to mind is Professional Pet
Products, which makes both.  You might also give her a little olive oil as
a treat, which may help mitigate the dry skin effects somewhat.

> She's also got the bad habit of digging at the floor/carpeting when she wants
> to be somewhere and her access route is blocked. Is there .any. way to
> get her to stop, since a good deal of the time she's running around
> unmonitored? :)

This is something we were never entirely successful with.  In some places,
where a carpet seam was under a door, we put cardboard to prevent ours
from digging up the seam.  We also would yell at them to let them know it
wasn't OK to do it.  Again, not completely successful.

> A side note: I'm using the clumping type of cat litter for Potpie's litter
> boxes. She doesnt have any sneezing problems (standard litter gives off
> more dust and causes her to sneeze), and it's pretty damned easy to keep
> clean, although she tends to scatter it a good deal; however, the mess is
> worth the other conveniences. Anyone know of any problems surrounding the
> use of clumping litter?

Many folks are insistent that clumping cat litter not be used with ferrets
for fear of causing respiratory distress.  As far as I know, this is only
a problem for ferrets that dig in their litter.  Ours don't dig, and we've
successfully used clumping litter for about 3 years.  Again, this is
controversial.  Others will tell you differently.

> As far as treats go, Potpie's current favorite is unbuttered popcorn (must
> be the styrofoam texture :). She also eats rubber bands, when she can find
> 'em. :P

Don't let Potpie have rubber bands -- they can cause intestinal blockage
if eaten.  Bandit's first trip to the vet turned out to be for a rubber
band -- he was throwing up all over the place.  Very scary to see a ferret
vomit.

> One final question: Anyone know how to keep them from digging in potted
> plants (besides keeping the plants out of their reach :)?

One suggestion is to get a bag of heavy "river rock" from the nursery or
home center and put several inches in the top of the pot, to discourage
ferret digging.  Another is to fasten some wire mesh over the pot opening,
with a hole to let the plant through.

> If there is any one out there who has some short good
> arguments for legalizing ferrets in CA please send them
> to me so that I can pass them off as my own.

Marc,

If you haven't contacted the California Domestic Ferret Association,
please try them at 1-800-FERRETW.  Also Ann Davis of the League of
Independent Ferret Enthusiasts, [log in to unmask], or Pam Grant of
STAR*Ferrets, [log in to unmask], are well acquainted with what's
going on in California.

I'm really sorry to hear about Bongo's loss.  <uploading hugs>

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153