From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:46:25 -0700
Hi All:

Today Rogues' Gallery Ferret Rescue & TriFL participated in our first event
in the county we (Rogues' Gallery) just moved to & it went very well - even
though they assigned us to a booth RIGHT BEHIND ANIMAL CONTROL'S!

Were we paranoid???  EXTREMELY!!!  Particularly at first, in the wake of the
Kodo case, a tri-county rabies epidemic, & ferret's "gray area" status in
N.C.!!!

But it turned out to be a positive experience, because it gave us the
opportunity for "friendly chats" with 2 local Animal Control officers (there
are only 5 in the county), and educate them along with everyone else!  Our
ferrets were VERY good, and played their "aren't I cute & cuddly" roles to
the hilt (you see - they DO know who to impress!)  The more senior of the
officers, who is also the county kennel inspector & works closely with other
rescues, had heard that R.G. moved to the area,& took some of our business
cards, educational info.  & brochures to share with other officers.  He was
positive toward ferrets & Imrab-3 (which the state doesn't recognize) &
considers ferrets "domesticated" (which the state doesn't).  He asked a lot
of good questions, called them "awful cute critters", & offered to help us
in any way he could!

I'm sure some people may have thought it strange to see uniformed Animal
Control officers sitting at a ferret booth, drinking soda & chatting away as
if we'd been buddies for years, but in a way, their presence enhanced our
credibility as an organization & ferrets' acceptability as pets (i.e., if
they were the dangerous "wild animals" some people think they are, would
Animal Control be sitting there "visiting?)

Maybe it was because we met them face-to-face, shared our shade (they didn't
have any; we did), & helped them with THEIR efforts to educate the public
about rabies, which was their primary concern & purpose for being there.
The ferrets are always a big draw at events, & brought more people to their
exhibit, plus we helped them hand out brochures about rabies & a free
vaccine clinic they're sponsoring, and referred people with questions to
them.

Anyway, as we as individuals and organizations try to get unfair laws
changed, it's good to keep in mind the importance of maintaining positive
relationships and a "we're-all-in-this-together" approach with local
officials.  Try to understand their point of view (even if you don't agree
with it), provide them with information and a positive view of ferrets.

No doubt Animal Control officials will always do their jobs, regardless of
whether we agree with the actions they take, but taking a low-key, personal
approach with these folks could certainly not HURT your cause, and may well
be the best thing you can do to help ferrets!

Remember, "properly trained" officials may not "bite" as hard as those who
feel threatened or have had negative experiences with you or your group!

Karen

 Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn