From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:51:45 -0400
Hi --
Re: writing the aldermen in Chicago who are considering a city ban on
"exotic pets" (or those in CA or NYC)

It's important to realize that virtually all representatives, aldermen,
etc, are really trying to do the right thing.  For the most part, they
really have nothing against ferrets.  They are merely misinformed.
Remember, our goal is to persuade the lawmakers,; for this, the old saw
about honey attracting more flies than vinegar applies.  "I understand
you want to protect the people, but this proposed legislation is not the
way" will be a more effective persuasion than "You are a nasty person
who wants to take away my pet!"  There is a natural tendency of anyone to
react defensively to an attack; antagonism may be created where before
there was only ignorance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to give the
recipient any reason to dismiss your letter.  There are always a few
kooks who will advocate for any cause.  [I am NOT saying any of us
are kooks; I'm just using the sort of language that will allow a
politician to ignore us].  Clarity and politeness count.  Also, numbers
of letters count, no matter how short.  Any one letter, no matter how
well-constructed, can be easily dismissed.  But many politicians take
an
incoming message, and put it in one of three piles:

- for a cause
- against a cause, and
- just a kook OR can't tell on first glance what they want.  (This pile
is often just discarded).

Politicians do pay attention to the number of letters they receive on
an issue, especially if the letters are from constituents or at least
stakeholders.

A short letter that clearly indicates the action you want the
representative to take is best, and more letters from more people will
have a greater effect than one letter, no matter how well-written.

There are many political action organizations that give guidelines for
poeple to follow when writing or meeting with government officials.

Here are some:
ACLU:   http://archive.aclu.org/action/tips.html
Human Rights Web:       http://www.hrweb.org/primer.html
Teenage Republicans (for balance)
http://www.geocities.com/wisteenagegop/letter.html
Global Response, an environmental action
group:  http://www.globalresponse.org/letters.html
World Society for the Protection of Animals:
http://www.wspa-americas.org/ways_to_help-tips.htm

A lot of these assume a particular type of letter or issue, but the basic
guidelines are the same.

And here's a more philosophical analysis of letterwriting:
http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/advocacy/writecong.html

Hope this helps.
Sincerely, Claire