From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:57:44 -0500
Actually, the incidence of this and many other diseases of ferrets is
very much in question.  Let's examine my data, for example.  I can tell
you what percentage of my cases involved insulinoma (about 20%) but you
then have to examine the source of the data - owners that went to the
trouble of sending the material.  Hardly a scientific sample.

The data that you want is only truly valid in large colonies who keep
the animals alive for their entire lifespan, monitor them carefully, note
any problems, etc.  Perhaps some large facilities (like MF or MIT) may
approach such validity in their records.  However, most vet schools or
commercial labs, even if you can access their records, have somewhat
skewed data.  While I have published on much of my data, I believe that
it is good primarily for designating some diseases as "common" or "rare",
but not sufficient for determining exact incidences.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM