From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:17:13 -0500
I don't post much, but I read lots. Most people think I vanished, but
nope.

Kris, thank you for being so kind and generous with your time year
after year making the giving tree possible.

Yes, folks, this shelter is not on the tree. Why? Was is some error?
No. We were on the tree last year. Fair being fair, why not alternate
years? That gives everyone a chance to put kids up on the tree.

Emails go to Timbuktu sometimes, people get buried in their work, there
are thousands of legitimate reasons for a shelter's ferrets not to be
on the tree, but we all have to remember one thing, Kris does this out
of the goodness of his heart. He does the best he can. This is a
VOLUNTARY thing. He owes it to no one, and no one is owed space on the
tree.

The shelter kids really don't care if they get a new toy or a new sleep
sack for Christmas. Shelter kids are grateful for a toy, treat or sleep
sack any time of the year. They are most grateful for one on one human
interaction.

Things are hard for everyone this year, and it isn't going to be any
easier next year, elections. Donations go south for two years because
of the presidential election.

This will be the second year in the 49 years I have been alive that
there will be no Christmas tree, no decorations. Why? Because there
is no room for that. Shelter is first, and has 90% of the floor space
here. The change I squirreled away for my husbands Christmas gift,
well, that went to the vet, my son and his buddies (Marines all of
them, my adopted sons and daughters) want my husband and I to go to
Virginia for a family Christmas. Many of them are stuck on base, and
can't go home, several will be deployed next month. But we can't go,
extra funds go to the shelter. Period.

The point I am trying to make is no one owes a shelter op anything. We
depend on the generosity of others, and many times we forget that
simple fact, and forget that simple thank you. And I will keep saying
this, on the thank you part, I am probably the most guilty. It isn't
that I am not grateful. I am grateful beyond your imagination. I want
to write personal thank yous, and figure that I'll do it during quiet
time. Yeah, I hear that laughter, what quiet time? : )

Things are tough all over. I understand, with over 60 kids here eating
us out of house and home (Lord they are eating like no tomorrow!) and
a waiting list to come in of 47, I understand the feeling of how am I
going to make ends meet.

So, folks, if you have it in your heart, and shelters have webpages,
and the tree is all adopted, why not just go to the shelter's site and
pick a kid or two, or better yet, just send a $10 donation to their
vet? You have no idea how that thrills the bajeebers out of me when I
find that someone has put $5 or $10 on the vet bill. It is the most
awesome feeling!!! (And I am NOT saying this shelter, I am saying ANY
shelter)

Now, I have had people tell me this and that about the rescue, and
items we donated, and try to goad me into blowing up. Not happening.

What we donated was just that donated. Lori was told to use it as she
saw fit, use the stuff from this shelter the best way she thought
possible. Sell, use what ever, how ever it would be best used, use it
for the ferrets.

Lori had called me and asked for an invoice for the new items donated
from this shelter so she could reimburse us, but I told her a donation
is just that a donation. If when the smoke clears and if there is any
funds left, then she can make a donation to the shelter, but that is
not required. The items were donated with NO STRINGS attached. But, I
ain't stupid, and I won't turn down a donation.

Could things have been done differently? Who knows, it is done. Let's
learn from the experience. Each shelter should have some type of
"emergency" plan in place, a just in case you are put into the frying
pan.

I don't want to get into the ugliness that I have seen on the net. The
digging around to find dirt to throw, the he said she said stuff.

A positive constructive planning conversation, yes I would be most
happy to be involved with that.

Now, this is much too long, and I have Christmas Cards to rescue from
my helpers, ohm, one just got pooped on. Oh well, such is life at a
shelter.

May all of you have a very Merry Christmas, and may the New Year bring
you and yours health, happiness and prosperity.

Jean
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter
www.ferretsunlimited.org

"Death, anger and pettiness are things I cannot afford."  Shelter Wench