From:
Lawrence Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:05:57 -0500
The subject of euthanasia is always a stressful one for people who are
faced with it or have already been there.  I have been with three dogs, one
cat, two horses and three ferrets.  I have three very ill ferrets at this
time that I am having to make the decision as to when I am going to help
them to the Bridge.

It NEVER gets easier.  I always stay with my animals.  It is not easy for
me.  I believe it's easier for the animals.  ALL the vets that have
attended my animals have been very supportive and kind.  It's not easy for
them either.  The actual euthanasia has been calm and gentle.  A vet friend
of mine tells me that she comes home some days feeling like 'Doctor death".
She hates it but it has to be done.

I believe the critters know that we are helping them and would tell us if
they had the words.  We are the ones that have to come to terms with saying
goodby.  Like I said before, it never gets easier.  I cry while reading the
posts about the ferrets that have gone to the Bridge.  I know the pain, the
anguish, the frustration and the anger.  I hate having to make those
decisions.

My point?  It is painful for the humans.  Excruciating.  A difficult final
act of love.  But with my animals, gentle, calm, and mostly pain-free.

May all the animals that have gone to the Bridge rest in peace.  Hugs to
all that are hurting.  I am too.

Tequita and Larry: the hurting humans
Andy: Old man about to go to the Bridge
Freddie: I'm going too
PeeWee: I'll be along a little later
Cindy: But, I won't have my sleeping buddy!
Gidget: Oh well, I've never been anywhere long enough to have a buddy
Harvey: What do you guys mean by "The Bridge"?  I'm still so young....