From:
"Donna L. Carlsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:56:31 EST
Hello all!  First I want to thank everyone for the wonderful cards and
letters to my ailing Cosmo.  It was very unexpected and so greatly
appreciated!  I do not subscribe to the mailing list, I get to hear about
bits and pieces from a friend.  A very DEAR friend, who I have learned
has shared some stories about my shelter with you.

I am not the sort to ask for help.  I rarely come out of my shell, only to
take care of my ferrets, who usually take up all my time.  I love every
single ferret that comes through my door, and lately I've been getting a
lot of adrenals, most of which were inoperable and living at the shelter,
and some have passed away in surgery.  I have been struggling with the
shelter, both financially AND emotionally.  I do not want to get into a
lot of personal stuff, so I will get to the point.

My friend has told me about a few fun raising efforts on the FML.  I would
like to know if there is anything or anyone out there that can help my
shelter.  I was told about a Card Exchange, Raffles, and various other
efforts.  Is there a way my shelter can be included in these efforts?
Please e-mail me at [log in to unmask] with any comments or suggestions.
I have stopped taking in ferrets as of today.  I lost another in surgery
Friday, it was a ferret that was surrendered because the owners could not
afford to take care of him.  This is a common occurence, and I have to
bear the financial and emotional load of these guys.  I've come to a
point where I feel I can no longer continue.

I received a call from the vet today about a little ferret that had a
blockage and needed surgery.  Because the owners cannot afford to take
care of her, he offered it to me.  Of course I said yes, "put it on my
bill".  A bill, of course, that was already high.  How could I say no,
and have him put her to sleep?  I know the people, and I know the ferret.
She has been here for boarding, ear mite check, etc.  She is very young
and full of energy.  I do not have any "adoptable" ferrets.  It is rare
that I have anything under 4 years of age.  I do have a lot of "older"
guys, but nobody seems to want an older guy or a special needs ferret.
So they all end up living here, some of them are basically waiting to die.
It's very emotionally draining.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.  I have been ill for
several weeks now, which makes matters even worse!  So far the ferrets
haven't caught anything.

I will cut this short, if anyone would like more information or just chat,
send me an e-mail.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!  The FML'ers are very kind,
compassionate and understanding folk.  When someone has a problem with
you spending upward of $600 on your beloved pet...remind them that the
shelters do that on a monthly basis.

Donna
Angel Ferret Shelter, Inc.
Angelferret.com