From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:14:52 -0700
Website is    www.rockysferrets.com

I would like to thank all the shelters that have offered their help and
support.  Those who have contacted me know that you are on standby.

This is a very unique rescue, and I would certainly appreciate Bob
Church's comments here.  These kids are sensory deprived.  They lived in
a dark garage without a single window.  They rarely saw the human that
would drop by and give them food and water.  Only then would a grease
encrusted 60 watt light bulb be turned on, so that the "caretaker"
could make her way through the cages and hanging debris in the garage.

They were never handled, and touch is new.  They don't know our voices.
Ever seen a ferret poof or bottle brush when the phone rang, or someone
sneezed?  Please understand that these kids are the survivors of that
horrid garage!!!!  They have been tormented and stressed beyond all means
that their bodies and souls can cope.  They need forever homes NOW!!!
not more transition and confusion.

Several have been placed.  Perhaps these families will post their
experiences, or inquiries to me will be forwarded to the adoptive homes.

The necropsies and health issues are stress oriented from neglect.  This
is a medical fact, and not just my opinion.

In the best interest of these kids, I want them to leave Rocky's and go
directly into forever homes.  I so appreciate the shelter support, but
we need to minimize the stress of these kids, their lives depend on it.
I just won't risk any more pressure being put on them, if I can avoid it
at any cost.  I have explained this to all shelters offering support.

I am accepting applications for adoptions.  Out of state (MD) I will
ask for references and a home visit by a shelter op or other trusted
individual.  I welcome out of state qualified homes.

The following are Rocky's requirements for Adoption, as well as placement
with another shelter:

That all existing ferrets be current on distemper vaccinations.  Rabies
is also preferred, and where state law, required.

That all existing ferrets be tested for Aleutian's Disease Virus.
Letterhead documention from a CEP/UNITED test is preferred.  Letterhead
documentation from a saliva/AVECON is acceptable.  No other ADV testing
method is acceptable.

We do not adopt into ADV +/- mixed homes.

These are the conditions that Rocky's has established as basic
requirements.  Other issues of nutrition, out-time, etc. will be
dealt with in our response to the applications to adopt.  To apply:
http://www.rockysferrets.com/ferrets/application.html

All ferrets being adopted will be sexually altered, CEP/ADV tested,
current on distemper and rabies vac, dewormed w/Albon treatments, treated
with Ivermectin, and GEEEESH repeatedly shampooed.  We are now working
the second phase of their triage which includes CBCs and dental for each.
Lord, it will be at least one shedding season before we ever know that
their true color is not crime scene orange.

We have kick ass volunteer support for this effort.  Thank you Lynn Love
from Fairfax, Va. and Tracie and the Richmond Ferret Rescue...and so
many others!!!!

Thank you all for your love and support.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay,
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
832C Falls Rd.
Parkton, Md. 21120
www.rockysferrets.com

HAGERSTOWN KIDS: GIVE TIL THE HURTING STOPS!
PAYPAL: [log in to unmask]