From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:14:30 -0400
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-buzz/post/national-zoo-name-that-black-footed-ferret/2011/10/24/gIQA4QHYDM_blog.html>

Meeteetse is where Black Footed Ferrets were first rediscovered.

We are so happy to see the name, Meeteese, in there.

One of our domestic ferrets had that name. She was a little girl who
had been battered at a pet store for biting and had a malformed tail
left over from that. Her problem? A deciduous canine had turned on its
side, been retained and caused a large gum infection. I was able to
remove it right in that store and the pus just erupted from it in a
fountain. After that she went home with us and she never bit anyone
again.

Meeteetse would gently hold a person's big toe in her mouth if she felt
ill and we luckily one day insisted on x-rays of her chest when she had
begun a tiny cough and did that toe holding. She sounded fine when the
vet listened but actually had severe pneumonia and pleurisy so they
jumped fast when the images were seen and she was saved.

What our Meeteese was probably best known for was that she absolutely
loved the voice of NPR science reporter, Richard Harris and would climb
up and kiss the speakers when he was on the air. As a result she was on
All Things Considered NPR several times, and when she finally passed
away they had an obituary for her on the Weekend Science ATC show.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html