Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:06:44 -0700
I am fostering a male ferret of unknown breeder (somewhere up in Canada) he
was dumped by Petco because he bites (some of you may remember the story).
He is EXTREMELY active and has taken to biting all of the time.  When we
first got him he slowed down a bit especially when the cats and other fuzzes
wanted to play, but he has taken to biting humans again.  I am at a loss as
to what I should do, I have tried bitter apple and it seams to discourage
him until he finds a spot that has no bitter apple on it and he will go for
that.  He seams to do it to get attention (which we give him a lot of) he
will run up and bite and then jump around, I read this as him trying to get
us to play with him.  He also bites when we are just holding him he will now
go for the ears.  I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that he is
young and deaf so he doesn't hear us discipline him.  He usually has free
roam of the bathroom bedroom combo and I have tried putting him in the cage
for time out (he just bites the bars)

Someone at a pet store suggested that I get a flash form a camera and flash
him when he is bad (kind of like clapping my hands to a ferret that can
hear) but I dont know how I feel about that idea.  Any suggestions would be
great.

Thanks
Kirstin in Phoenix

Sasha "I am the most beautiful princess in the world"
Farah "MOM Ben is biting me again make him STOP"
Ben "Come on PLAY with me....ok I am gonna have to bite you"