From:
Lisa Leidig - Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:29:05 -0400
Hi everyone!

I hope this post finds everyone well, and the ferrets happy.  Since my last
post, I have found that one of my own ferrets, Jezebel, a 6 yo MF chocolate
mitt female, has been diagnosed with insulinoma.  She had a BG of 35 <sigh>
here we go again with the prednisolone!

Please understand <disclaimer begins> I am not a vet, just have a lot of
experience with ferrets <end of disclaimer>.  When a ferret has an ulcer,
the most effective treatments for it have been IMO is sulfacrate (carafate).
It coats the stomach and protects the wall against the formation of ulcers.
Teeth grinding is a classic symptom of stomach upset/disorder.  I do not
like metrodiazonale (I think also referred to as flagyl) because of the lack
of tolerance by the ferrets for the taste!  I can get the 1/8th tab of
carafate down them much easier than I have been able to get .2cc of metro!!
I also use one tablet of pepcid a/c for prevention of acid.  Pepto bismol is
also not bad for the ferret, just give in small doses.  If the ferret is
under a vets care, I would certainly ask the vet for another kind of
medication that is better tolerated, taste wise.  As far as what the ferret
will eat, I think that anything that you can get down the ferret in his
tummy is good, and ferretvite is certaintly not bad for the ferret!  I would
certainly try to feed duck soup or get something else besides just
ferretvite in his tummy.  Try to also supplement with brewers yeast, which I
use on insulinoma babies to help aid aborbsion of nutrients.  There are many
varieties of duck soup floating around on the internet, you can email me for
my particular recipe if you wish.

Heartworm in ferrets - I live in Southeastern Va, specifically Virginia
Beach, and I protect all of my ferrets against heartworm using a 1/2 tablet
of Heartgard for cats.  Its basically Ivermectin in tablet form and my
ferrets get a 1/2 tablet each month.  My basic rule of thumb is this: if
your dogs or cats are being treated for it, treat your ferret!  I don't know
about Indiana, but here in VA, its very common to treat for heartworm.  I am
also aware of using the Ivomec liquid, but I am not sure of the dosage.

Pamphlets about ferret care --- Some AOL buddies of mine, and a lot of other
ferret people,(from breeders to shelters) have put together a pamphlet about
general ferret care.  It covers a lot of basic points from cages to food to
vet care, and a lot of thought went into it.  Its available to anyone for a
small charge (to cover printing costs and postage).  If anyone is
interested, they can email me at this address!

Sukie - thanks for the phone number!  I will call them for my Karo kids!!!
Maybe then I will get more of the meds in the ferrets than what I wear!!!

Marshall Farms - I think by now everyone knows where I stand <grin>.  I
boycott MF for early spay/neuter, and I will leave it at that.  Yes, I have
MF ferrets, but I did not purchase them from a petstore.  Please don't get
me wrong, I will never turn a ferret away from rescuing because of the
tattoo it bears.  If I don't agree, you don't get my money, its that simple.
'nuff said, right?

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa