From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:22:34 -0400
In the last FML I questioned the cost of the video Dr. Weiss has produced
demonstrating adrenal surgery techniques.  Due to the flood of mail that
I got privately that basically said "Shame on you" for questioning such a
thing, I apologize to Dr. Weiss and anyone else I might have offended by
doing so.  Why it got such a strong response however, I honestly don't
understand.  I wasn't impugning Dr. Weiss.  If I was, why would I want his
video?

As I did say, if the proceeds were to go towards continuing research into
ferret illnesses I would be all for it.  This is a video that should be
accessible for those who need it, and at $200 many won't be able to get it.
Our club, I've been told by our treasurer, can't afford it.  We're
considering pooling money in order to buy it however, as we do think it's
important.  Vets however, I'm sure won't have any trouble with the cost,
and I hope many take advantage of the resource.  I'll be giving the
ordering information to my vet, and I know others will do the same.

I was told that the approximate cost for Dr. Weiss to make the video was
about $15,000.00.  Yes, that's fifteen thousand dollars.  So at just shy
of $200 a video, Dr. Weiss only needs to sell 75 of them to make back what
he spent.  I'm sure the knowledge given will be priceless, especially if
it helps to save the lives of ferrets.  I was also told that the surgeries
featured in the video were given, free of charge to the owners who let
their ferrets participate.  That's great to hear.  Although, one of the
people whose ferrets were part of the video and under the care of Dr. Weiss
said that they too were surprised how much the video cost to buy.  Glad to
know I wasn't the only one.

Please, think twice before sending a heated email to someone just because
they may have said something differently than you might have said it.  We
don't all need to do things exactly the same way in order to be good
people, and it's alright to question things once in awhile.  That's how
we learn.

Robynn and her Four Ferrets of the Apocalypse