Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 13 May 1994 17:58:05 -0400
On 05/13/94 [log in to unmask]  said to PRAHMAN
   >In Ferret List Issue 825, PRAHMAN <[log in to unmask]> quotes a
   >bill to allow ferret to be kept as pets in Michigan (HB4495):
   >> 2. Ferret bites to be reported to a public health department
   >and >    owners would have to comply with the rabies
   >compendium if a human >    bite occurred (i.e., euthanasia and
   >rabies examination)
   >Writing this point into law is unfortunate.  I don't think
   >that this bill is a step forward.
   >--- Bill Sebok

I agree. So does Rick White of S.A.F.E. He and I have been having a
dialogue via e-mail since I posted the info on Genie. Friends in CA
have said the requirements are MUCH less stringent than what CA is
proposing. The issue brought to me by Rick was a 'scratch' causing
euthenasia. Our goal is to legalize. Once recognized as domestic
companions, and with the support of ferret lovers to educate those
thinking of/purchasing ferrets, and proof of their safety as companions,
I'm sure we will one day get the acknowledgement of a rabies vaccination
meaning euthenasia will NOT be required in a bite case will be a
reality! As an NRA member, and recreational shooter (the non-violent
sport of punching holes in PAPER for sport and recreation) I, as you,
are well aware of the legal ramifications of the #2 in the bill.
However, it is better to have them free to own, and have people like
you and me help educate the public and provide brochures to pet shops
for new or potential owners of ferrets to lead this prospective bill
to passage, then it will be 47 legal (identifying with the Federal
recognition of them as a domestic companion animal), and deal with the
reality once proper shedding studies are done. What worries me, is
that this Kansas University study is NOT addressing the proper rabies
strain on ferrets! It is dealing with the study of ferret's
succeptibility to SKUNK rabies!! I may stand corrected by those of
more authority, however, as I recall, this is NOT the strain of rabies
that will show their true major exposure risk. It sounds like an
opportunity to 'bleed' the ferret lovers by the 'back door', inducing
much money to show a study of a strain of rabies not as common as is
the strain they are going to be most exposed to! A good way to explain
what I mean, would be to test them for succeptibility to (ficticiously
speaking) Bald Eagle Distemper, when it is Canine Distemper they are
succeptable to!! Novice and non-medical regards,
Your fellow ferret lover,
Paul in MI and the gang!
Save whales - collect the whole set.