From:
Liane Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 18:46:42 EST
Well, this happens every so often.  Someone calls the shelter or was
referred to the shelter, leaves a message and expects a response from me
as if this was all I had to do.  Since you chose to bring this to the FML,
I will respond through the FML.

First contact with us was via email on 02/20/00.  I was in California,
but responded to you with my pager number and my return date, along with
information regarding other shelters in the area (which are MUCH closer
than Oregon).  I brought my laptop along on vacation to be able to respond
to those who knew only how to contact us through the Internet.  I picked
up your message from my paging service that following Tuesday.  My paging
service ALWAYS answers, so the 'no answer' you received was incorrect.  I
received two emergent pages from you that Thursday.  I knew I would be
unable to answer, so I called someone who would have the time to talk to
you (since your number is a long distance call) and gave her your number.
She called and spoke to Dana.  It was explained to Dana that I had a hectic
schedule, especially this week since I started into a new practice, but had
set aside all of Saturday to do shelter stuff.  Dana said that Saturday was
inconvenient -- and Sunday would be better.  Since Sunday is my family day,
an appointment would need to be made directly through me.  This was the
last communication between us.

Most shelters are run out of people's home.  WFA's is no different.  This
shelter was started out of pure love for fuzzies.  The time, effort and
money that goes into running a shelter can only be truly appreciated by
those of us who do it.  Not only have I sacrificed my time and money for
this cause, but my family has had to learn to reschedule events, deal with
complete strangers coming into our house, phone calls at all hours, and
literally sleeping with ferrets who need the one-on-one attention.

People who are so quick to criticize others are often lacking in themselves
that of which they are critical of.  Whenever you are ready to walk a mile
in my shoes, let me know.  Oh, regarding the 'flaming' and 'your other
half' -- be grateful my entire family along with the many others who do
know what it takes to run a shelter didn't answer this -- there would only
be smokin' ashes.

Liane Beckwith
Director, Washington Ferret Association and Shelter