From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:51:02 -0400
To Jessica and the furbeans:

>I read on the ECE FAQ to give them Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate (sp).  I just
>wondered how many of you have gone through this, and what I should do.  I
>don't even know how much Pepto-Bismol to give them, or I would.

If you can get PB into them, more power to you!!!  PB is the most hated
substance known to ferrets.

However, the applicability of PB in the treatment of ECE is anecdotal at
best.  While it is an essential ingredient in treatment of gastric
Helicobacter infections, I wouldn't start every ECE ferret out on it.

The following is my first line of ECE treatment:

1. Fluids to any even borderline dehydrated ferrets - generally
   subcutaneously.
2. Amoxicillin at 10 mg./ob twice a day to prevent secondary bacterial
   infections.
3. A bland highly digestible food.  As you have experience with chicken
   baby food, this would be the best way to go.

People treat ECE many ways - some use anti-diarrheals, some use
anti-spasmodics like Immodium, some even use silver compounds.  However, for
the all of these compounds, except for the three outline above, there is no
clear indication, and reports of their success vary widely.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath