From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 06:27:29 -0400
>Take the test for lethal dose.  I thought I was right, but I could be wrong.
>I will take Miss Ela's word for it.  I know saying she is right will make
>her happy. ;-)

Oh by all means ..  don't just take my word for it ..  look at the MSDS
sheets for lethal dosage information!  I cited a reference for the lethal
dosages of both boric acid and water in my last message discussing those
toxicites, taken from the Web.  (MSDS sheets are Material Safety Data
Sheets, and they exist for LOTS of chemicals that are used in laboratories.
Manufacturers are legally required to provide them to you when you buy the
chemical, and they list every potential hazard associated with the
chemical, in excruciating detail).

Actually (and this is the main point of my message) ..  I just wanted to say
that the MSDS sheets are a WONDERFUL source if you are concerned about the
potential toxicity of a chemical for either yourself OR your pets.  I look
up things like "boric acid", "borax", "bleach", "baking soda", etc. in the
MSDS databases (there are several of them on the Web) *before* I go out and
use these substances in my household.  (I read the side of the box, too ..
but I like seeing the information directly in the MSDS for a more complete
description).

In addition, there's another book I like that's an excellent starting point
on *potential* dangers of chemicals to fuzzies (or yourself): "A Consumer's
Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients" by Ruth Winter, MS.  (IT covers many
household products as well as ingredients in personal care products).  I
also use her "Consumer's Dictionary of Medicines" to look up medical
products (it has info on prescription, over-the-counter, homeopathic and
herbal) before giving them to either myself or my pets.  They are excellent